Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His name is TI-REX!

Hi, we have small male miniature Dachshund 13 years old, in the last six months he has lost one kilogram. Down from nine to eight which is lot on such a little dog. He has lost a lot of muscle mass.

He is still cheerful and prances around at times.

He has had throughout check-up by the vet, with all the necessary expensive tests. She could not find any real reason for his weight loss except a slight swelling in his colon, which showed up us a darkish mass, she said it was unlikely to be cancer, but cancer could not be ruled out completely. All his eternal organs are fine, he does not have diabetes or another he organic diseases.

His appetite is less and he is fussier about what he eats, but he is still eating fairly well. We got him special prescription biscuits, but he dislikes them and refuses to eat them even if we mix them into the food he likes, but should not eat like spaghetti for example

His stools are whet sloppy and surrounded with mucosa, he seems to be drinking a little more water than he used to but it is not excessive.
Could he be suffering from mal- absorption syndrome?

How can we best get him to eat and what should we sublimate his food with?

What foods do you recommend?

If he has cancer, god forbid, I do not want to put him through at his age through chemotherapy. We love him very much and the last thing we want to do is put him down

Alan McDougall (South Africa)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
At 13 years of age I would give him anything he will eat. All dogs lose muscle mass as they age. You can always tell the older dogs by how they seem to be all rib cage. No matter how much you feed they will not fill in, just spread more in the rib cage. At least that is the illusion it gives without the muscle.

If he is happy and can get around fine, I would not worry to much. We all hate for our dogs to age but unfortunately we can not prevent it. We can however make them as comfortable as we can in the senior years..:) JMO

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
This might just be part of egging old. At his age, as Lynne said, give him what he'll eat
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 13 years of age I would give him anything he will eat. All dogs lose muscle mass as they age. You can always tell the older dogs by how they seem to be all rib cage. No matter how much you feed they will not fill in, just spread more in the rib cage. At least that is the illusion it gives without the muscle.

If he is happy and can get around fine, I would not worry to much. We all hate for our dogs to age but unfortunately we can not prevent it. We can however make them as comfortable as we can in the senior years..:) JMO
Hi Guys thanks for your kind words , I will take your advise, keep a careful watch on him and keep you posted

Alan

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Sounds like IBD. Swelling of the colon, mucous around the stools. I would mention this to your vet...as I believe both diet and medication is needed to control it :) Goodluck.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
all the necessary expensive tests
For example... ? What were the actual results? Kidney values? Liver values? Urine test? Ultrasound? Xrays?

a darkish mass, she said it was unlikely to be cancer, but cancer could not be ruled out completely
Why did she determine it was unlikely to be cancer? Was the swelling throughout the layers of the colon or was there an actual mass attached to an area?

His stools are whet sloppy and surrounded with mucosa
What color are the stools?

Could he be suffering from mal- absorption syndrome?
Yes, there are blood tests that could tell you that. A TLI and a B12/Folate should be run.

special prescription biscuits
Why were these prescribed?

I do not want to put him through at his age through chemotherapy
That is completely your choice, but FWIW dogs do much better with chemo than humans and cats. Only about 15% of dogs get sick from chemo and usually it's a day or so of inappetance. Few have to be hospitalized due to being ill.

Did your vet prescribe any meds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like IBD. Swelling of the colon, mucous around the stools. I would mention this to your vet...as I believe both diet and medication is needed to control it :) Goodluck.
What is IBD is it internal bleeding diarea (Spelling) What kind of medication, thereis no bleeding?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Isn't it irritable bowl disease?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What is IBD is it internal bleeding diarea (Spelling) What kind of medication, thereis no bleeding?
This will give you info about stomach issues but it sounds like it is the new food that is the problem. I would just home cook for him at this age. With a small dog it is easy to cook a few days worth of meals in a crock pot. I would start with the ground meat of his choice I like turkey because it is low in fat. You will want at least 50% meat and the rest a mixed veggies. Try this for a month and see if there is and improvement. If you find this fixes the problem all you need to include is a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement.
DogAware.com Health: Digestive Disorders in Dogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This will give you info about stomach issues but it sounds like it is the new food that is the problem. I would just home cook for him at this age. With a small dog it is easy to cook a few days worth of meals in a crock pot. I would start with the ground meat of his choice I like turkey because it is low in fat. You will want at least 50% meat and the rest a mixed veggies. Try this for a month and see if there is and improvement. If you find this fixes the problem all you need to include is a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement.
DogAware.com Health: Digestive Disorders in Dogs
Thanks a stack I will try it out this is a great site with friendly people like you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts