Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so our 13 year old, ~10 pound terripoo has been throwing up bile/mucus since last night. my family left for ny a few days ago, and the first day she ate breakfast and dinner like normal. the second day, she only ate breakfast. the third day- yesterday- i'm not sure she ate anything. she might have eaten half a meal, or our cat might have eaten it.

sometime yesterday evening, she started throwing up bile/mucus. she did this several times over the course of the night. i put it down to her having not eaten for a while. i don't think she's thrown up today, but she still won't eat. for a few weeks she's been eating wet food mixed with dry, and last night i tried to give her plain wet food, which she likes better. she wouldn't eat it. i tried peanut butter, even rubbing it on her teeth. i tried chicken. she turns her nose up at everything

she's drinking water and urinating normally. she doesn't seem to be in pain and she's acting normal, except that she won't eat anything. at the moment, we're worried but not Very worried; we are planning on taking her to the vet if she continues not to eat

she's not the kind of dog who goes and eats random things on the ground, and she hasn't been outside except to go to the bathroom in several days, so it's highly unlikely the cause is a blockage. she hasn't eaten anything new recently, so it's not likely to be an allergy.

tl;dr- dog not eating, threw up bile/mucus last night, drinking water normally. possible cause?

·
Registered
3 Posts
so our 13 year old, ~10 pound terripoo has been throwing up bile/mucus since last night. my family left for ny a few days ago, and the first day she ate breakfast and dinner like normal. the second day, she only ate breakfast. the third day- yesterday- i'm not sure she ate anything. she might have eaten half a meal, or our cat might have eaten it.

sometime yesterday evening, she started throwing up bile/mucus. she did this several times over the course of the night. i put it down to her having not eaten for a while. i don't think she's thrown up today, but she still won't eat. for a few weeks she's been eating wet food mixed with dry, and last night i tried to give her plain wet food, which she likes better. she wouldn't eat it. i tried peanut butter, even rubbing it on her teeth. i tried chicken. she turns her nose up at everything

she's drinking water and urinating normally. she doesn't seem to be in pain and she's acting normal, except that she won't eat anything. at the moment, we're worried but not Very worried; we are planning on taking her to the vet if she continues not to eat

she's not the kind of dog who goes and eats random things on the ground, and she hasn't been outside except to go to the bathroom in several days, so it's highly unlikely the cause is a blockage. she hasn't eaten anything new recently, so it's not likely to be an allergy.

tl;dr- dog not eating, threw up bile/mucus last night, drinking water normally. possible cause?

Don't wait. Go to the vet. Hope it's a waste of time.

Ours presented this way, it was cancer and she was gone in a month.

It could be any number of things, but why wait, other than to save a few bucks ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Normally I don't mind telling people to wait the standard 3 days to see if they get better, but the way your girl is acting you really should get her to the vet and not wait.

Put it this way. technically you have waited 3 days, and over those 3 days she's gotten steadily worse, you are now on day 4 and she needs the vet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your concern. i called the vet, and they agree that we should bring her in for an exam. my parents won't get home for another few hours to bring her, but we should be able to get her in just before the vet closes today. Lilly is still alert and acting fine, other than not eating. i got her to lick a little peanut butter off my finger, which is a tiny improvement haha

i'll post again and update you after we get news from the vet

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, the vet wasn't too concerned. she's not in pain, nothing sounds or feels off, and she's showing a little more interest in food again, so he says it was probably just an upset stomach. they gave her a shot for nausea. she just ate a bit of wet food- not a lot, but considering her stomach's been pretty empty for a few days, i wouldn't expect her to/want her to eat the whole thing at once haha;;

we're certainly gonna keep our eyes on her Just In Case, and will absolutely take her to the emergency vet this weekend if her appetite doesn't go back to normal soon/she stops eating entirely again, but for now the verdict is she's all right.

also we need to get her teeth cleaned

but we knew that haha;;;

once again, thanks everyone for your concern!

·
Registered
125 Posts
So glad to hear it wasn't anything major. You all did the right thing, and I'm sure the shot for her nausea helped her quite a bit. I hope she continues to improve. Sending happy thoughts your way.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Don't look for a return to normal eating habits for at least a week. As long as she shows some interest in food and eats some, you are certainly on the right track with her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's been a while, but just wanted to confirm that our/the vet's judgment was right- lilly did get back to eating normally after a few days, and she's feeling fine now. :) there was (thankfully) nothing else we ended up needing to worry about;;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts