Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and broke the skin on my finger today. She will also lunge at my arm with her mouth open. I tell her no firmly and she starts jumping and barking like let's play and bite more.
She has every chewy thing made I think lol Bully sticks, puppy teething treats, dental chew sticks, rope toy, etc.

How do I redirect her?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
and broke the skin on my finger today. She will also lunge at my arm with her mouth open. I tell her no firmly and she starts jumping and barking like let's play and bite more.
She has every chewy thing made I think lol Bully sticks, puppy teething treats, dental chew sticks, rope toy, etc.

How do I redirect her?

Little landshark :p

First tip is to always be calm around her, don't get her really riled up because she will not be able to control herself and it'll make the play biting worse.

Next, never play with her using your hands or feet as toys, not saying that's what you are doing but some people do. Always play with her with one of her toys.

EVERY time she wants to play give her one of her toys and play with her with it. That teaches her that's the only way you will play with her.

If she bites you give her a toy and play with her with it, if she drops it and tries to bite you give her the toy again. If she still tries dropping it and bites you again then play time ends, get out of her reach for a couple minutes before trying to play with her again. You can put her in her crate with one of her chews, in an exercise pen with a few toys, or have a babygate up over the doorway and hop it. What your teaching her is how to play with you and that biting you causes fun time to end and you to leave her alone.

No is likely causing her to think you are playing, puppies do not understand no and with some of them they seem to take any sound we make as a play sound, It's why yelping or saying OW works with some but not with others.

For got to add the link for biting, mouthing, and nipping http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/ and also to add to stick with the training, it can take a few weeks for a puppy to really learn that biting humans is a no no.

Reactions: MarleyGrace

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks. I will keep redirecting her. She will literally open mouth lunge at my arm too. She is playing and when I do say no she takes it as play. We have two playpens for her. One is in the kitchen and when she is getting overstimulated we do put her in there. It is a large space that holds her bed, food/water, toys and potty box. She also loves to bite my toes/socks. lol I usually redirect her to a toy or a chew stick but will stop actual play when I redirect her now. thanks again

·
Registered
189 Posts
What really worked for us when our pup was in that stage, was saying a sharp 'Ow' and then leaving the room for about half a minute. This signals to the pup that the human has been hurt, and when the human has been hurt, it is the end of playtime. When you do return, go back to being playful with your pup and forget about the incident. After doing this for a few weeks, our pup picked it up pretty quick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my chihuahua was like this when she was a few months old and i tried a few things... but in the end i found simply saying a firm NO immediately when she bit followed by putting her in time out worked :p it sounds silly but it worked.

she would bite id say no and then put her in the bathtub and as she was so small she could not get out ... id leave her in there for about 30 seconds and then let her out and we would repeat this every time she bit and within a week she had stopped all together

i also used this method to get my Chinese crested to stop aggressively guarding her food but as she was a bit bigger i put her in the shower instead

its amazing how fast it worked

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I started picking her up and moving her away from me. It worked this morning when she was trying to bite my socks (on my feet) while trying to get ready for work. The fourth time she ran back into the bathroom she ran towards my feet but didn't grab at the sock. So, hopefully with consistency this will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.