Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's torn over how our pug is losing weight so fast. He's been getting hind leg atrophy over the last 2 years but has been doing hydrotherapy with a treadmill and is walking a lot better than before, but is still losing weight. Over the last 3 months he's dropped probably 1.5-2 lbs and the vet doesn't know why. He has relatively normal bloodwork except for some electrolyte levels. He's at the vet now getting the ACTH test for Addison's. If it's negative, the vet thinks to do ultrasound next for tumor.

Anyone have any other ideas? He's generally a very lazy dog, never liked walking or playing a day in his life, but he eats every meal like it's his first and/or last. He still has an appetite even now. We've increased his food by 30% last week and he still dropped .2 lbs between vet visits.

Other info: eats taste of the wild kibble in AM, homemade chicken/vegetable medley in PM plus a few fruit/veggie snacks throughout the day (piece of apple or pear here or there, carrot here or there)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Did they test for diabetes?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Sounds like your Vet is doing all the tests to find out why the weight loss. Our Poodle/Bischon mix gains weight just smelling food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They didn't mention diabetes with the bloodwork.
Today the ACTH test was done and I thought results were rapid. Turns out we have to wait a week. Meanwhile he had ultrasound done on stomach and gut, no tumors.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They didn't mention diabetes with the bloodwork.
Today the ACTH test was done and I thought results were rapid. Turns out we have to wait a week. Meanwhile he had ultrasound done on stomach and gut, no tumors.
No tumors, a very good sign!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Blood glucose is normally included in a blood panel, and it being high would indicate diabetes. If they didn't say anything, then chances are, nothing in the bloodwork indicated possible diabetes.

Did they also test his thyroid levels? That's a big one that can cause weight issues.

Not sure what area you're in, but see about a referral to an internist. They might have more answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He rushed the Addisons's test and that was negative as well. He's going to start him on meds tomorrow for this inflammatory thing and see if he gains with increased food intake. Not sure about the thyroid I'll have the wife ask today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts