Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old staffie has just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He's at the stage where the vets cannot treat him. We just had to feed him a special diet now. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this and could tell me how long after diagnosis did their dog pass away and how?

Thanks x

·
Super Moderator
3,703 Posts
I'm so sorry. I don't know the answers but I am sure I have read that it varies depending on how far the deterioration has progressed.

I hope you have many good memories still to create with him. If it helps, please do share stories and photos here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if animal wellness has an article on it but they are about helping dogs naturally. I just signed up for their free Digital Subscription, they have some very interesting natural take on health care

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Our twelve year old, also has kidney issues. We are now feeding her renal support Rx food. She just had blood work yesterday, and surprisingly since September her kidney function has improved. She has a host of other medical issues too, but we will continue to do all we can for her for as long as we can.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am sorry for the diagnosis. Yes I have dealt with a pet with kidney failure. She was also put on special food, but she was already having problems digesting by the time we figured there was an issue and almost 15YO. She was very picky with food (loss of appetite) and I was cooking for her low protein bisquits (with renal supplements from the vet) the last few months.

The vet told us it is all dependant on the dog and progression of disease, but she has seen some pets live for up to a year on the special diet. Also as mentioned above, kidney function can improve. My girl also had an infection and infection can give higher kidney enzymes. If I could give you any advice, try your best to keep her happy and that just means being patient and doing all you can for her. I tried hard not to dwell on the fact that she was ill and she honestly was a super happy girl until she couldn't anymore.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I will add, we have a neighbor whose dog was diagnosed with kidney failure and was put on Rx renal support food, three years ago. Dog is now fourteen years and still ticking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our twelve year old, also has kidney issues. We are now feeding her renal support Rx food. She just had blood work yesterday, and surprisingly since September her kidney function has improved. She has a host of other medical issues too, but we will continue to do all we can for her for as long as we can.
Good Luck! Keep makin memories!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it depends on your dog's lab numbrs including creatinine. My shih tzu was diagnosed with kidney disease at age 14-15 and we thought "oh no, we're going to lose her soon". Her numbers stayed pretty steady and we lost her at age 20 and not due to kidney failure!! So love your dog, do all you can and enjoy him/her while you have them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it depends on your dog's lab numbrs including creatinine. My shih tzu was diagnosed with kidney disease at age 14-15 and we thought "oh no, we're going to lose her soon". Her numbers stayed pretty steady and we lost her at age 20 and not due to kidney failure!! So love your dog, do all you can and enjoy him/her while you have them.
That's nice to read! Did you end up doing anything to manage the disease?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We put her on the kidney rx food but she really wouldn't eat it, so I went back to my Solid Gold holistic food (lamb). She was always a picky food from the time I got her (rescued at age 1-1/2) so I'd top it with rice and sometimes a few pics of chicken. Her numbers really didn't change much over the yrs. Even at age 19.

·
Registered
454 Posts
We put her on the kidney rx food but she really wouldn't eat it, so I went back to my Solid Gold holistic food (lamb). She was always a picky food from the time I got her (rescued at age 1-1/2) so I'd top it with rice and sometimes a few pics of chicken. Her numbers really didn't change much over the yrs. Even at age 19.
Thanks for your reply and that's amazing, 19YO!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were so fortunately to have her live to just turn 20 before we lost her! Lost our other shih tzu to congestive heart failure at 14, and currently have our little guy who is now 11.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts