Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12 week old male Lab. I have been crate training him since I got him at 7 weeks. This is not my first dog so been through crate training before. He settles down when I go to bed (10PM) just fine but he is waking anytime between 3AM and 5AM. Even letting him out to relieve himself he doesn't settle back down. This seems to be getting worse not better. He does not soil his crate. The crate is located in the living room which is open to the second floor where the bedrooms are. I have considered moving him the bedroom but unsure if it will make things worse.

The problem is as he wakes us earlier and earlier we find ourselves going to bed earlier and earlier which I am sure is making things worse. We try to exercise him as much as possible during the day. I have tried tapping the crate and saying no....that works for about 10 minutes then he is barking again.

Any suggestions are welcome....

thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had this problem before - I took my 8 week old pup every two hours at night but around 2am he will whine when hes back in his crate and left alone. The thing is, if he already went potty, poop and pee, and isn't thirsty - then I say ignore him. That's what we did and eventually he did settle down especially since we tired him out during the day.

I won't say moving him to the bedroom is your best bet, but I would consider moving him to the hallway that's remotely close to your bedroom. Ours started in the bedroom at 8 weeks - and eventually moved to the hallway at 12wks and when he turns 4 months, we're considering moving the crate downstairs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree that ignoring it is the only way to stop it. Any other way is going to teach him that he gets attention for it. Very annoying at first, but worth it in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've never had a puppy, but all my rescues have always slept in a corner of our bedroom (not crated, but that may not be practical for a puppy) I think it does comfort them & it never had a detrimental effect when leaving them alone during the day for whatever reason. Night time can be a bit scary & lonely, my Betsy sleeps like a log, occasionally she will come look at me, then go straight back to her bed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree the only way to go is ignore it completely. It will get better w time. He will probably be happier sleeping near you, but this is coming from someone who sleeps in bed w their dog so that's where my opinion lies, I think dogs are usually happiest sleeping close to their people. It may not keep him quieter for now while he's going through that early waking puppy phase, but it might? Best of luck getting through this time of little sleep. =P
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree the only way to go is ignore it completely. It will get better w time. He will probably be happier sleeping near you, but this is coming from someone who sleeps in bed w their dog so that's where my opinion lies, I think dogs are usually happiest sleeping close to their people. It may not keep him quieter for now while he's going through that early waking puppy phase, but it might? Best of luck getting through this time of little sleep. =P
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, if you're not already move him close to your bed, also keep in mind at his age he should be going out every 3 hours.
some have tried covering part of the crate with a sheet or blanket, I never did it so have no experience there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has really good bladder control when crated....he does not soil his crate he is going 5-6 hours. Basically I been letting him out at whatever time he wakes up usually around 4-430AM and then put him back in with a treat.......then I put ear plugs in until I get up around 6AM. I have only been at this for a few days so no success yet. Prior to that I would just stay up so I guess I made my own bed. When he is fully house broken and trained I will most likely just let him sleep in the bedroom....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
He's still a bit young to be holding it for a full night. With my puppy I would set an alarm for halfway through the night, take him out to potty, and put him right back in the crate. I made sure that I was the one waking him up and taking him out rather than him having to go, crying, and then getting let out. Waking him up to go out doesn't give him the opportunity to learn that crying = leaving the crate whereas letting him out when he cries reinforces that behavior. I think the first couple of times that I took my puppy out at night he did cry when put back in, but he quickly learned that it was just part of the game. Make sure it's strictly business- no jumping around, playing, sniffing allowed- wake up, potty, back to bed. I took mine out on a leash to keep him focused on the task at hand.

Now my dogs are both very good in their crates all night long. I know that at this point if I hear one of them crying during the night that someone has an upset stomach and should be let out NOW or I'll regret it in the morning!! Your pup is getting older, so he will soon be able to hold it all night. Just be patient in the time being and know his limitations!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts