Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a very sweet female shepherd mix. When I got her I did a meet and greet with my other dog a Chihuahua x and all went well. However, when I introduced her to my roommates dog a 7 month old shepherd mix she became very aggressive not playfully nipping at him but growling and biting. I'm so confused her dog loves other dogs and made no aggressive moves. I don't know if it is that he is bigger than she is or that he's a male or what but if it isn't sorted out soon, I will unfortunately have to return her. Please any help on the subject would be great.

·
Registered
500 Posts
A dog doesn't have to be aggressive to overwhelm a young puppy. GSD puppies tend to be energetic and clumsy and big which might scare smaller puppies.

At first you should figure out if it is fear or something else.

I have a Belgian shepherd puppy who isn't confident with rambunctious dogs. Other people let their dogs greet my puppy, they were friendly yes, but it doesn't matter when they come like tail-wagging phloughs straight on and stick their noses into my puppy, ignoring all her calming signals. She feels cornered so she growls, snarls, and snaps.

I put a stop on that. I let her observe dogs from further away. She likes calm dogs and is curious about them. She might even try to bully them a bit to test their reactions. I took her to puppy play dates where after finding a group in her level, she finally started to play with another puppy.

Counter-conditioning is always an option. See the trigger -> stream of juicy treats appears.

I must find a way to introduce my puppy to my parents' reactive shepherd mix. Easier said than done while my mom thinks their dog is a lost cause and my dad needs hand to hand guiding if I'll use him as a prop. My current idea is to have the mutt properly exercised and then taking both dogs on a walk, starting far apart from each other. Maybe involve reinforcing good calm behavior or counter-conditioning. But I might need more tricks in my sleeve.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree, sort out the reason for the puppy's reaction.Be sure the puppy is really being aggressive and not just instigating a play fight.

When my 11 week old pup gets going with the three adult males here, she snaps, growls, snarls, bites (not breaking the skin) tails wagging, all three bouncing and bowing and, sounding like they will rip each other apart - it's play, they know that and, speak the same language, they read body language and know the bites and snarls aren't serious. Maybe your puppy just wants to play like a big dog.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Its always possible its aggression- anything is possible......but I can say from experience that shepherd puppies play rough- really rough. Also can be very vocal during play. A couple of shepherds that are roughousing and playing hard can sound like they're trying to kill each other. Like, the neighbors may think you're staging dogfights kind of rough play. The one we have now, at 12 weeks old was an absolute machine about harassing and terrorizing our older lab. Growling, barking, biting legs, full on putting mouth around her body parts etc. Less nipping, more grab a leg and start chewing on it lol.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That's true one of my dogs best buddies is a German Shepherd and he's twenty five percent German Shepherd according to DNA testing. One hundred percent thug when younger and playing with his best larger buddies. Very gentle with small dogs and puppies.
The two of them would play for hours as adolescents and even recently, very rough wrestling. The pure gsd sounded like she was killing him, my dog is quiet when playing but people would literally leave the park because they thought they were going to kill each other. They loved it and never left a single mark on each other. She has major resource guarding issues and my dog is the only dog that can take her favorite bones and toys and share them with her. He even eats out of her food bowl if they ever rarely visit and goes up to her owner for pats and treats. Most other dogs she bites and has hurt a few for approaching her owner.

That's a whole different training issue, point is they play very tough and ferociously and both are very happy and have never had a single fight or even one cut in two years despite her training issues. My own dog's not perfect but he rarely to never fights with female dogs but will run if they go after him. Any of his issues are solely with other males, usually unneutered adolescents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts