Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Bitsy has been showing some early signs of resource guarding food. She loves to eat and she can't see or hear, so I'm not shocked, but I'm wondering what I should be doing to nip this in the bud. The older dogs are correcting her, and when she's busted she loses whatever treasure she has or she has to take a break from eating. It's only happened twice so far and I feel pretty confident in the approach I'm taking, but I'm always open to alternative strategies.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
So Bitsy has been showing some early signs of resource guarding food. She loves to eat and she can't see or hear, so I'm not shocked, but I'm wondering what I should be doing to nip this in the bud. The older dogs are correcting her, and when she's busted she loses whatever treasure she has or she has to take a break from eating. It's only happened twice so far and I feel pretty confident in the approach I'm taking, but I'm always open to alternative strategies.

Taking it away from her will just teach her that she's right to guard her food since you've proved to her that it's going to be "stolen" from her, and she may escalate her reaction to try and get her message across.

Check out this thread, it's loaded with a ton of info on dealing with resource guarding http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/

What you need to do is teach her that people being around her treasures means that she gets to keep the item and gets something even better. Once you have her comfortable with your being around her stuff then you move on to playing trading games to teach her that it's safe to give you what she has since you'll give her something better then nearly all of the time give her back what she had so for her it's a win win situation.

Reactions: Grabby and HaydenK

·
Registered
202 Posts
Taking what she's guarding will just justify her guarding because what she likes is now being stolen.
If it's just her food she's guarding feed her away from the other dogs. Every time you go by her when eating add something yummy to the dish. Cooked chicken pieces or similar. Make sure she knows it's you doing it and she'll learn to expect good things when she lets you near your stuff! If it's bones or similar work on trading. Trade something she finds equally rewarding for the bone. It's not your dogs job to correct her guarding, that'll just lead to fights.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks guys, I didn't think of that (not sarcasm). I have always revoked privileges for any sort of resource guarding behavior and it works wonders on my mom's dachshunds but they're not exactly normal dogs! :p

She is only guarding her food, and like I said, it's only happened twice. She has no problem with me taking her treasures or touching her or her food while she eats, it has only been aimed at Pinkman. Thinking back on the incidents, it may have actually been that P surprised her and it had nothing to do with the food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts