Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am posting here as sort of a last ditch effort. My dog Reagan has been slowly losing her mind over the last few months. What started off as separation anxiety turned in to destructive behavior.

She has always been a bit of a nervous dog but never anything we couldn't manage. She was crate trained and used to love her "cave". The first time I can think of this happening is about 6 months ago when I had to go to a conference out of state and she was home with my fiance. She had to work one of the days I was gone and we had crated Reagan with someone coming to give her two 30 minute walks in between. After the second walk she started freaking out and managed to break out of her crate, destroying teeth in the process and leaving a trail of bloody pawprints throughout the house.

Since then once or twice a week at night she begins heavy panting and pacing around. Last night she decided to attack our blinds in the master bedroom with my fiance and I sleeping in it. She has destroyed 3 other sets of blinds up to this point usually when she is home alone.

She gets regular walks and outside time. We have a big fenced in yard she gets to run in so I don't believe it's pent up energy. I have taken her to the vet and she is now on prozac and tranquilizers for when she gets in to one of the spaz moods.

Between the drugs and the tranquilizers she just isn't the same dog anymore and I am worried her mental state is impacting her quality of life. It has begun to impact my fiance and my work/personal life as too. She is the source of some arguments and two nights a week we are guarenteed no sleep. I am worried the answer to this may be to put her down. But I wanted to see if anyone had advice before I commit to that. It will rip my heart out but I don't want her to be miserable.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts