Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family adopted an 11 year old chihuahua/italian greyhound mix 2 months ago. The previous family couldn't keep her because they had many young children and the kids were too rough with her, apparently. They let her sleep with them in their bed, so when we brought her home we (stupidly) allowed her to do the same. We are zombies. She jumps in and out of our bed all night, crying and whining constantly to go outside. We take her for a nice long walk before bed, she goes outside constantly throughout the day, and she is able to hold her pee all day while we are at work for 8 hours a day, so she has no problem making it that long without going potty. At this point, my husband and I are exhausted and unsure what to do. We tried barricading her downstairs, but she just cries all night still and wakes everyone in the house up. Can an 11 year old dog be crate trained? And if so, how? Will it make a difference, or will she just whine every hour from there too?

I'm exhausted :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think your best bet is to try to hold her and give her some love. Think about it, she just went the past 11 years with a different family and now she is in your household probably very confused and missing her old family. Try getting to know her better like bringing her to the dog park and keep bringing her for walks, playing with her and her toys, etc. As for staying in bed- try bringing some treats to bed with you. Keep her by your side and pet her until she calms down and give her treats when she is being good. You can also try soothing music- might sound crazy but they actually make these sound boxes just for pets that people buy to help soothe them. Try googling soothing music for dogs and see if anything works. I hope atleast one of these will help! good luck with you're new pup-- and give her time. it may be exhausting but in the long run she will be worth it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts