Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know he's not revenge peeing or anything of the like. I don't believe this is an attention-getting maneuver either.

He's pretty good with holding it, but the only trigger that always seems to get him to pee in the house is if there's fun things happening and he's in another room. For example, if I just put him in a room alone to sleep while I get some things done around the house. Or if I have guests over and I have him in a room while I talk to them. Or even if I get delivery and have him stay near his mat while I sign the credit card slip.

It's usually preceded by him whining or scratching, which I ignore because I don't want to reinforce. Then he pees a little, and settles down.

Any ideas? It doesn't happen often, but it is one behavior that's a clear pattern. It's like it's harder for him to hold it.

PS he doesn't pee when I leave him home alone, oddly. It's specifically when something interesting is happening that he doesn't get to be a part of.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like excitement pee to me. Especially if he's only just going a little bit.

My pup does it too, he just turned a year old, but sometimes when he sees people he knows he lets a little bit go. It will only happen with him if he hasn't been out for a while, so maybe when you have situations you can control, like people coming over or putting him in a room for a snooze you take him out first. Should help to mitigate. I've heard about dogs that eventually grow out of it, and some where it's an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Thisisme19 you're probably right! I thought he had outgrown the excitement peeing, because he no longer pees when he meets people. But maybe being kept away from the excitement is even more exciting than meeting people.

Incidentally, whenever I watch the tv show "How to Get Away with Murder" he tends to pee a little in the last scene, lol, probably because of the music.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts