Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We have a 10yo Queensland Heeler Boarder Collie mix named Blaze. He's a great dog, super obedient, and very house trained. My girlfriend moved in with me a couple years ago and Blaze has NEVER had an accident in the house, even if he was sick.

About 4 weeks ago we got a new kitten to keep Blaze company during the day. It's a 6 week old Maine Coon mix. Now, some back story. Blaze broke his hip over the holidays, so he has been on 'bed rest' (somewhat confined) for the last 3 weeks, now that he's feeling better, he is free to roam, but we limit his walking (and no running or playing).

He started to go #1 and #2 in the house. Right outside the 2nd bathroom where the litter box is. At first we thought he might not be going outside enough to do his business, so we came home at lunch time. However, that's not the case. This occurs when we're at work or even when we're home, but in a different room. I'm convinced it's behavioral because of the cat.

I'd like to get your feedback on this situation and what we can do to help Blaze. I'm sure he's sick of getting in trouble and we're sick of the cleanups.

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Have you talked to the vet? I'd be very concerned about incontinence following a broken hip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cat only goes in the litter box and the litter box is inside the bathroom. The dog has been doing his business right outside that bathroom and I'm pretty sure he knows he's not supposed to because of the guilty look on his face when he's caught. Any time he goes on that spot I've been cleaning it with pet cleaner and also running the carpet cleaner over it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The cat only goes in the litter box and the litter box is inside the bathroom. The dog has been doing his business right outside that bathroom and I'm pretty sure he knows he's not supposed to because of the guilty look on his face when he's caught. Any time he goes on that spot I've been cleaning it with pet cleaner and also running the carpet cleaner over it.
That guilty look is appeasement behavior. He knows *something* has made you mad, concerning that spot, or pee/poop inside, so he tries to reduce your anger with appeasement behavior. (Dogs aren't actually capable of guilt.)

Again, the hip concerns me. The nerves that control continence run through the hips. There's also the issue of pain, loss of muscle tone, etc.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
He did it yesterday right after I took him out to do his business. He did it while I was in the shower.
And? If he's had nerve damage, he can't help it. If it's pain, he can't help it. Even if it is behavioral, he's not being deliberately provoking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was incontinence wouldn't he just go wherever he was, uncontrollably? This is the same spot every time.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That is because he can smell the cat under the door. He does not know he is not supposed to go there he smells the smell and goes just like if he was out side and smelled where another dog had gone. Maybe move the cat box and clean the area and see if it still happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts