Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first time ever posting on a forum but I figured who better to help than people with love for their fur babies and experience with them.
So...........
2 weeks back we got Romeo (our now 10 week mini golden doodle - half retriever half mini poodle).
We watched a lot of videos on bringing a puppy home, crate training, behavior training etc.
Since the first day, we gave him lots of love, hugs and affection but also trained him a bit (he can sit and down BUT ONLY WHEN HE WANTS). We took him for small walks and now try to increase the distance bit by bit. We also crate trained him.
He is simply wonderful with his crate. He will go in, sleep through the night and does not cry. But when outside, this is what happens:
1. He jumps and runs a lot, refuses to listen or come.
2. He bites on our hands and almost tries to get us even when we try to put his collar on for a walk.
3. He HATES going on walks and sits down refusing to budge. We have to drag him and a few steps later he walks well and then again just sits down!!!

We have realized that he is a smart puppy for learning tricks n just 2 weeks. Please help us on how can we channel his intelligence to a positive way.

Sometimes we attribute his behavior to just being a puppy but the constant defiance scares us as he is growing up soon and we dont want an unruly dog!!!
You help will be highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
He's not defiant, he's a baby. It's going to be a long time before he's fully trained, or even capable of being fully trained.

Check out Dog Star Daily they have free downloads on raising puppies. Zak George and kikopup have great videos on youtube, and you can check out the forums here, the stickies are great.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
10 weeks old, I'd be more concerned about bonding with the pup and as far as walks go, I'd put that on the back burner. Just getting a pup used to a collar and leash properly at that age takes time and thought. Putting an emphasis on fun types of engagement which has the pup coming to you on its own volition is the name of the game. The pup's desire to jump and not come/listen is his method of trying to engage you on his terms, it's what he knows and what he has done so far in his early life with his litter mates. Just redefine the terms but still indulge the desire and the pup will figure it out. Learning to incorporate the pup's tendencies into interaction which is deemed acceptable by you is the name of the game. Keep it fun and when the pup doesn't do as you wish, try and remember the little guy doesn't know any better but since he is smart, he will pick up on your evenhanded wise leadership.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I first got my puppy, someone told me "he'll let you know when he's ready to walk". It was good advice! He was finally ready to try walking when he was about 4 months old. Since your dog is only 10 weeks, focusing on play and bonding is a good start.

Regarding biting of leash/collar: approach dog very slowly when putting this on. When he goes to bite, gasp/inhale sharply/say "ow!" whatever your preferred method is. Then go to put leash on again. When he can allow you to do it without biting, praise and treat.

Regarding biting in general, redirect him to an appropriate chew toy. If he bites again, keep redirecting. If he keeps biting, move yourself out of his penned area for 30 sec-1 minute. If he keeps biting, keep extending the time you're gone. Eventually, it clicks that bite=no play time.

Have you looked into puppy classes? They are great outlets for puppies to socialize and you often learn some basic skills as well, including "come" and "down". It could be helpful and fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.