Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hii everyone
My new pup since I have had him has excessive itching near ear, bites his paw and paws his face. Since I have never had a pooch before I thought all this is normal behaviour. Turns out it's not. He got two bald spots on his face, one on his paw and his ears seem to have some bumps too so 2 days back I took him to the vet who has asked me to switch to home-cooked meal incase he is allergic to his kibble and given medications like allegra, antibiotics and a few supplements. Since then his face has turned red, seems swollen, he has also started wincing when he scratches his face and seems very lethargic. I spoke to the vet again and he suggests waiting for his medication to get over before getting him checked again (this happened on call). All the symptoms seem like mites to me but since I have no experience I decided to get a second opinion on the forum. I will be attaching the progression of his dermatitis below
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Ear Whiskers
Dog Liver Carnivore Ear Dog breed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The breeder is not reliable at all and has stopped picking up my calls since I asked for a vaccine certificate :(
I should also mention that my puppy had a seizure 2 weeks back which was termed idiopathic since no cause was diagnosed and had medication for that as well apart from that coccidia was also found in his stool for which he was on medication too and now this :(
Its not been a great few weeks for him and I am hoping for a quick recovery for him!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So sorry you are having such problems, and even sorrier for your poor puppy suffering with this. It's clear that you got the pup from a very bad breeder....but you already know this.

the important thing now is to get him feeling better. I suggest that you take him to a different vet and get a second opinion. He needs to be allergy tested for one thing. Just changing food "in case" he is allergic is not sound veterinary practice. They shouldn't guess like that or change something unless they know what is going on. Also, telling you to continue with a medication when the pup is getting worse doesn't make any sense at all to me.

If this were my puppy I would go to a different vet, have him examined, have a CBC done and allergy testing and possibly a little scrape of the affected area and have it analyzed at a lab.

I wish you and your little guy all the best, and hope you can find out what is really going on very soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sorry you are having such problems, and even sorrier for your poor puppy suffering with this. It's clear that you got the pup from a very bad breeder....but you already know this.

the important thing now is to get him feeling better. I suggest that you take him to a different vet and get a second opinion. He needs to be allergy tested for one thing. Just changing food "in case" he is allergic is not sound veterinary practice. They shouldn't guess like that or change something unless they know what is going on. Also, telling you to continue with a medication when the pup is getting worse doesn't make any sense at all to me.

If this were my puppy I would go to a different vet, have him examined, have a CBC done and allergy testing and possibly a little scrape of the affected area and have it analyzed at a lab.

I wish you and your little guy all the best, and hope you can find out what is really going on very soon.
Thankyou so much for your advice
I am definitely going to get second opinion from a different vet coz this is clearly not helping. Thanks again. Please pray for my lil pooch :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree 100% with the scrape and CBC. More likely then not, your vet will do both. A scrape can show if it is possible mange- which often times if not detected, is mistaken as dermatitis, which is just the technical term for "skin inflammation". I would also start your pup off in the healthiest of diets you can provide. That will be the biggest and most important investment you make on your pups behalf, for overall long term longevity. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts