Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 10 month old Siberian husky. hes for the most part very well behaved, very well trained, very responsive. been housebroken for months. aobut 4 months ago I was having issues with him submissively peeing. I didn't know what it was once I found out why he was peeing inside whenever someone was watching him. I started corrective measures. he still occasionally does it. but nowhere near as bad. and will go outside and "go potty" immediately. around june 20th my roommates fiancée came to live with us for the summer. and has been watching feeding and taking care of the dogs when we are at work(the other dog is an Australian shepard). about 2 weeks ago or so when I left to go visit family. my dog began defecating in the house even though he was let outside and told to go potty just before.

at first I thought it was just an accident or separation anxiety. and there wasn't much I could do from across the country. I told her to try to make sure he goes outside. and that's all I could do. then he continued to do it when she watched him even after I got back. so then I began thinking maybe its still a separation anxiety problem or maybe hes doing it as a challenge to her.(she is not a very dominant or role established person as far as the dogs are concerned. she basically feeds them and plays with them. not much as far as training or anything else)

then this morning i woke up let him outside(even before i went to the bathroom) and made sure he atleast peed. then he ran inside on his own.(he usually doesn't defecate in the morning) and i went to go get ready for work. i shaved, brushed my teeth. then stepped outside my downstairs half bath and started walking into the kitchen. he has defecated in the walkway.

and i know he knows that he shouldn't do it because anytime he does this he tucks his ears and lowers his head. then as soon as you call for him he runs to his kennel. or runs upstairs to my bed.

when i first potty trained him i would make sure he understood the go potty command, and that it ment defecating when he needs and peeing. and he did just fine. i believe part of my issue was the fiancée not continueing with this training but still wanting to let the dogs out. but he has done this a lot almost everytime he needed to defecate he's done it in the house(i found out this after asking the fiancée. and i didn't know prior)

but i cant understand why he would do this at all really. or even start doing this if he was going outside already why he would think its ok to go inside. and he obviously knows better cause he tries to hide and tucks his ears and lowers his head after he's done it.

i don't know how to stop this especially if i cant get my roomates fiancée to do anything. either because she's lazy or cant establish dominance.

any advice would be nice at this point.

key points:
-pee's outside when told to go potty. comes inside and defecates when no ones looking at him.
- is on a routine schedule for food and potty.
-was deffinately housebroken before this started happening.
-used to have submissive peeing problem.
-usually disciplined with a stern NO!
-rewarded when doing good actions with either being petted or treat.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The submissive peeing is fear so saying no or doing anything to cause more fear is not a good thing. After pooing in the house the first time he sounds like he has no clear idea of where to go. Start over and get him back on a schedule. Him hiding to go shows that he is afraid to go in front of you not that he know he is doing something wrong. Being dominant is not the answer it just creates more fear. Maybe try something new. Clicker training is a good way to train where to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The thing I am trying to fix is that off and on as he does it but he just literally defecated right next to me in full view after just going outside and defecating. He went outside this morning defecated then came in after I gave him a treat and instantly started defecating. Like he was responding to something. I literally can't understand why he did it. He was definitely done defecating outside. I didn't call for him just good boy and he ran inside. He knows where to go because he always goes in the same area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts