Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my female chiweenie mix dog spayed Monday (12/16/19) and now she growls at everyone. She's shaking and she wouldn't eat that much or drink. She is on previcox 57 mg 1 tab daily for pain. I don't know what to do since everyone is telling it is a normal reaction after surgery but I can't even go near her without her lunging on me and growling at me. This morning my brother tried to feed her and when he slid her food in front of her she was shaking and unsure if she should take the food and started growling at my brother. I'm not sure if she got traumatized or if they hit her in the spay clinic. She used to be a very sweet and cuddly dog before getting spayed. I am very upset and I don't know what to do because I just want her to trust me again. Has anyone experienced this problem with their dogs after getting spayed?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Step 1 is to not feel guilty, which it sounds like you do. Just act normally and whatever you do, don't force it! Just let the dog be the dog and she'll get over it. The more you make a big deal of it, the more likely it is that this behaviour will become conditioned and much harder to "undo". The basic idea here is "the more you ignore it, the quicker it will end".

The dog is very likely grumpy because she's in a bit of pain and went through something that wasn't very pleasant. You might want to call your vet about it to ask if the drug she is on can have these side effects (hint: google says yes, disclaimer: I have no medical knowledge whatsoever so you still need to call the vet!!!). The vet may be able to change the medication and/or adjust the dosage to make her more comfortable.

good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts