Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took her to a groomer and she went so crazy that they couldn't finish her nails. I took her home and cut her nails once - it took all my force to hold her down (I'm 5'10 200 lb bodybuilder). Today, we tried again and it was even worse. She got so aggressive towards my fiancee that she was scared to death

We're giving her treats after cutting every single nail but she still hates it. I don't know what I can do. I'm so embarassed to take her to the vet

Should I just have her wear a muzzle and take her to the vet? I am afraid I'm damaging my relationship with her by forcing her to cut her nails. My dog is very friendly - I've never seen her show an ounce of aggression towards anybody or anything outside of this nails problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
I'm not an expert on nails by a long chalk. Do you use Facebook? There is a fab group there, Nail Maintenance for Dogs.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not an expert on nails by a long chalk. Do you use Facebook? There is a fab group there, Nail Maintenance for Dogs.

my fiancee is so traumatized now that she just wants the vet to do it but then should I put a muzzle on her?

will this hurt her or make her more aggressive?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ask you vet for medication to help keep her calm. She is not the only dog in the world who doesn't like her nails trimmed. If she is trying to bite your vet will muzzle if necessary. We have a few dogs that come in to the clinic that have to be completely sedated for nail trims. Once you find a medication that works to keep her calm than you can start training at home as suggested by JoanneF.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My advice would be to slow down and treat your dog's phobia with a bit more respect. Dog's are sentient, intelligent beings and deserve more communication!

So please stop wrestling your dog, and instead teach her that she can trust you! Explain via demonstration that you are not trying to hurt her, because clearly that's what she thinks you're doing!

Doing this might take some time, weeks or even months, but you can't wrestle a dog one day and gain their trust the next.

Spend some time calmly just touching her feet. When she is totally comfortable with that slowly introduce a clipper. You don't need to do any cutting of nails initially, just acclimate her to the clipper. Show her that it's okay by remaining calm and emulating what you want her to feel, calm, relaxed, and safe.

There is no emergency! Better her nails go untrimmed for a while, than to wrestle with your dog...

This video is someone working with a horse, but the idea is the same. Work with the animal in front of you, at a pace they are comfortable with. Everything you want this dog to do will be easier if you take more time gaining that trust:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.