Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old Aussie, and I wanted to get some opinions before I take him on an expensive vet visit.

For months now he has had problems with his fur. It's not drastic and seems to be getting mildly better with what I'm feeding him, but I really can't tell if it's because I'm changing his diet or if it's not even really getting better. The difference is so mild that I can't tell.

His fur seems pretty dry, and today when I was petting him for a long time in the car I noticed a lot of dirt on my fingers. I could actually see the dirt caked onto my fingers, but he had a bath a week or two ago and you couldn't tell he was dirty expect his fur was a little dry. I know I shouldn't give him frequent baths, but it seems like the dirt isn't coming off and I think it's making his skin and fur dry? I'm at a loss because if I bathe him too much he will be dry but it seems like not bathing him is making his fur dry. When you part his hair it's lighter toward the base and seems more brittle, particularly on his sides closer to his butt, and on his behind where hot spots often are. The front of him is very soft like on the side of his legs and his face

He's not scabby but I see him chewing, probably because he's dry and it's itchy.

The reason I bring this up is because on one of the sides that is dry there is a small little bump that is the color of his skin. It doesn't seem like it's pus filled, just skin color. Could this be part of the reason he's so dry skinned, or does it sound more like allergies or food? Could this bump be much worse? Thanks so much! Sorry if this is vague :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vco

Hi :)

Try putting Virgin Coconut oil in his fur....comb through it. Try not putting too much so it won't get oily. My dog has dandruff back then and this is what my friend suggested that I would do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! I've heard this works well and I actually put some on him yesterday. I hate the oilyness but if it works and makes him stop being so miserable I'm willing to deal with it! I just hate to think he might end up like one of those dogs with smelly, scabby skin and patches of hair missing :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure more of it gets on his scalp...I'll ask the vet about that bump though...I heard you can also give it orally?? I never tried i though since my dogs hate the taste..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts