Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I am looking to see if you would be able to provide me with some training advice. To give you my story, I apologize because it is quite long but it explains the issue.

My house (just me and my sister) recently rescued a dog. A beautiful 1 and a half year hold redtick coonhound named Gracie, we have had her since 6/9 so about 2 and a half weeks. Both my sister and I have had dogs in the past but we have always had them since they were puppies and house trained them ourselves from the beginning. An older rescue is new for us and she is wonderful except for house training. To start we do not crate and have never crate trained a pet and would rather not. She is confined to our kitchen area where we have provided her a bed, toys, food, and our company for a good part of the day. The first night we brought her home she was allowed in the main part of the house before bedtime because we were home, she snuck away and peed in one room and pooped in another at one point and we did not catch her in the act. No yelling we just confined her to the kitchen and cleaned up the mess. We blamed this on ourselves and the fact of a new environment, new people, and new smells. Saturday and Sunday I spent most of the day with her in the kitchen watching for signs that she needed to go out. We went out a LOT but most of it was so that she could explore. She was very smart in figuring out that if she sat and stared at the door we would go for a walk. If I remember right we did pee those days but only once or twice. She had amble water but she wasn't really eating much. Monday is where things go bad...she just did not go AT ALL (no pee no poop). No accidents in the kitchen but no going outside either! After days of nothing we started worrying and scheduled a vet visit for the weekend. Tuesday she finally starting eating both meals in the day and she finally went potty Wednesday night and I have never been happier! It was even outside! The next few days we got more regular with eating and drinking and started going potty outside. She holds it for HOURS though and only seems to go potty for my and not my sister. She makes no messes in the kitchen but will hold for more than 18 hours most days even with multiple walks from me. Now this might sound like the problem but actually it is only part of it. (the part we can deal with) We started rewarding her outside potty trips with access to the rest of the house so that she could spend more time with us. Every time we have done this she has peed. No warning no notice we jut find a wet spot on the carpeting. We never catch her in the act. We don't yell and we take her outside and then she gets confined to the kitchen again. We started only letting her in the rest of the house after she both peed and pooped and she would still pee somewhere on the carpet. Each time we clean with a cleaner that gets rid of the smell. She never gets the same spot twice. We stopped letting her in the rest of the house for a few days and there are never accidents in the kitchen. The other night she went pee and poop so we let her in the rooms with us and within 20 mins we found a puddle on the carpet. We are at our wits end on trying to figure out why the carpet in the house when we know she can hold it during the day and night when confined to the kitchen. We have never used a trainer before and I have tried to google to search forums and websites but all talk about the basic house training of take out side and reward for peeing there. We do that and she does go outside or she can hold for hours so we have no choice but to go back in the house.

We really want her to spend more time with us but letting her in out living area is out of the question till we fix this. Please help :(
If you have any ideas on how to help me or maybe even suggest somewhere to call or go I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Not knowing her history, I'd bet she is just used to going on a soft surface like carpet. Perhaps she was trained to puppy pads in the past.

Instead of confining her to the kitchen constantly, which probably isn't a great long term solution, have you tried tethering her to you while you walk around the rest of the house? This would prevent her from being able to slip away and have an accident, and it will also give you the chance to catch her when she's about to go and rush her outside.

Beyond that, it sounds like you're doing everything right - it just may take time. She's still pretty new to your house and the stress of the adjustment is only now starting to wear off, which could play a role as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts