Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a purebred pitbull who will be 2 in June. Potty training her was a difficult obstacle but up until a few months ago, it's like having an untrained dog again.

First instance:
Moved into a new apartment and first thing she did was poop in one of bedrooms while we stood a few feet away. Only did this once.

Continued pooping in the other bedroom whenever we left her there. (Left her by herself only when she became relaxed as she was too stressed from the move for a few weeks.) Stopped this by closing this bedroom off.

We think this is due to the previous tenants having a dog that was not potty trained and used those rooms as a bathroom.

Second instance:
We were curious to what she does when we're gone so we opened the blinds and left. From where I was sitting in the parked car outside, I could see clearly into the apartment. The moment she heard the car doors close, she ran to the kitchen and started to poop. My sister got there quick enough to discipline her.

This was not a case of needing to go out before we left as I took her out and let her choose when to go back inside. Usually if she needs to go still, she won't want to go back in. That day, she peed and went straight to the door, no sniffing or pacing as if she needed to go still.

Third instance:
She lets us know if she needs to go out at night. This particular night, she kept wanting to go outside because of the neighbor having their dog outside overnight. Angel (sister's dog) dies this whenever another animal is outside. She wants to go out, chase them if it is a bird, squirrel, or cat, or play with them if they are a smaller dog. (Her behavior is questionable at times so I won't go on about it in this thread.) Point is, she wants out to harass them and will harrass us in turn.

On this night, we took her out a few times in a row before we figured out she was just wanting to go to the neighbor's. So, we headed to bed after the final time during which she did use the bathroom twice. Good to go, yes?

No. She wakes up my sister a couple hours later to go back out. She obliges but Angel does nothing but pull towards the neighbor's again, only peeing once upon coming back inside. A hour or two later and it is the same thing, only this time she does not use the bathroom nor any interest upon being brought back in. Third time it happens, my sister tells her no and to lay down.

Now she does not wake either of us up overnight, choosing to go in the kitchen (pee and poop). Last night she woke my sister up to pee twice over a few hours but did not wake her up a third time and peed and pooped in the kitchen.

Do anyone know what we did wrong and how to fix it? I can provide extra information if needed!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like you need to go back to treating her like a puppy in terms of housetraining. Constant supervision, frequently potty breaks, treats and praise for going outside, over night she should be confined to a crate or pup safe space. Since she was housebroken before you moved shouldn't take too long to pick up, maybe a few weeks. Also I would do a deep clean of every area that you can with a cleaner made to eliminate pet odor. Nature's miracle or something similar.

Dogs don't generalize well. So even if she knew not to go potty in your last house you need to retrain at your new house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you need to go back to treating her like a puppy in terms of housetraining. Constant supervision, frequently potty breaks, treats and praise for going outside, over night she should be confined to a crate or pup safe space. Since she was housebroken before you moved shouldn't take too long to pick up, maybe a few weeks. Also I would do a deep clean of every area that you can with a cleaner made to eliminate pet odor. Nature's miracle or something similar.

Dogs don't generalize well. So even if she knew not to go potty in your last house you need to retrain at your new house.
I feel like I should add some background and a time frame since the details I've included kinda give off a different impression of what's going on. My sister works with the railroad so they've never stayed in one spot for long. So this dog has gone through the moving process many times and has never had an accident in the house, overnight or otherwise, unless left there for long periods of time alone (in case of bad weather or extreme temperatures). The longest my sister and Angel stayed in one place was /maybe/ a month. In comparison, we moved into this apartment (due to issues regarding her probation so she's stuck here for a few) back in late January.

The first instance was when we first moved in and the reason is obvious. So the deep clean is very much needed. It should have been done before we ever moved anything in and the landlord says it was done but with Angel using the bathroom on it, I think it was a surface clean /at best/.

The second instance with us leaving and spying on her, resulting in catching her in the act of pooping, was around Valentine's day or a few days after. We still don't know why she did that right after we both left unless it was anxiety? She hasn't done for close to a year now? She'll be 2 in June-ish and stopped having accidents when left home alone excluding the 4+ hour periods we've been gone around last April. So to see her immediately go to use the bathroom was surprising to us. We've left her a few times alone since then and only one of those times resulted in an accident. That time was a longer time away (6+ hours), though, so we figured she couldn't hold it the entire time. I didn't include it in the list for that reason.

The third instance was just this past two weeks. It's like all it took was for my sister to tell her 'no' to break her of her training. She wouldn't have even said 'no' if Angel wasn't going out just to mess with the neighbor's dog rather than use the bathroom.

So, it's not like we've /just/ moved in and she's doing this. We've been here for a few months and she's just started not letting my sister know overnight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I feel like I should add some background and a time frame since the details I've included kinda give off a different impression of what's going on. My sister works with the railroad so they've never stayed in one spot for long. So this dog has gone through the moving process many times and has never had an accident in the house, overnight or otherwise, unless left there for long periods of time alone (in case of bad weather or extreme temperatures). The longest my sister and Angel stayed in one place was /maybe/ a month. In comparison, we moved into this apartment (due to issues regarding her probation so she's stuck here for a few) back in late January.

The first instance was when we first moved in and the reason is obvious. So the deep clean is very much needed. It should have been done before we ever moved anything in and the landlord says it was done but with Angel using the bathroom on it, I think it was a surface clean /at best/.

The second instance with us leaving and spying on her, resulting in catching her in the act of pooping, was around Valentine's day or a few days after. We still don't know why she did that right after we both left unless it was anxiety? She hasn't done for close to a year now? She'll be 2 in June-ish and stopped having accidents when left home alone excluding the 4+ hour periods we've been gone around last April. So to see her immediately go to use the bathroom was surprising to us. We've left her a few times alone since then and only one of those times resulted in an accident. That time was a longer time away (6+ hours), though, so we figured she couldn't hold it the entire time. I didn't include it in the list for that reason.

The third instance was just this past two weeks. It's like all it took was for my sister to tell her 'no' to break her of her training. She wouldn't have even said 'no' if Angel wasn't going out just to mess with the neighbor's dog rather than use the bathroom.

So, it's not like we've /just/ moved in and she's doing this. We've been here for a few months and she's just started not letting my sister know overnight.
I would still try going back to housetraining basics. If it's the smell of previous dogs that made her start, you're still going to need to train her that the house isn't a bathroom and she needs to go outside. The best way to do this is to eliminate the opportunity for her to have accidents and reward her for going where you want.

Have you had her checked out medically? Your dog should be physically able to hold it for more than 6 hours. It's not ideal but it should definitely be doable.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
So, this dog has been moved around quite a bit with no issues. Had to read your postings a few times, but this one sticks out to me. Can you elaborate on the neighbors dog - what kind or is it small or large?

Third instance:
She lets us know if she needs to go out at night. This particular night, she kept wanting to go outside because of the neighbor having their dog outside overnight. Angel (sister's dog) dies this whenever another animal is outside. She wants to go out, chase them if it is a bird, squirrel, or cat, or play with them if they are a smaller dog. (Her behavior is questionable at times so I won't go on about it in this thread.) Point is, she wants out to harass them and will harrass us in turn.
Have to wonder if the neighbors dog has anything to do with it. Have they met? One has to wonder if it's something territorial due to the dog next door...

You also say that the dog is questionable when it comes to smaller dogs and birds and such. Also, what's the dogs average exercise routine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would still try going back to housetraining basics. If it's the smell of previous dogs that made her start, you're still going to need to train her that the house isn't a bathroom and she needs to go outside. The best way to do this is to eliminate the opportunity for her to have accidents and reward her for going where you want.

Have you had her checked out medically? Your dog should be physically able to hold it for more than 6 hours. It's not ideal but it should definitely be doable.
OK! I've been doing the "reward" after going outside but it's only been vocal praise as my sister gives her treats whenever she wants, thus making treat training difficult./ Will vocal be enough though?

And the last time she went to a vet that I know about was around early last year. She had parvo so they kept her at the vets for a few weeks. Finished her shots afterwards but I can't say for sure when the last trip was. So things could have changed since then BUT she has managed to hold it for 6 hours before. We just won't think much of it if she has an accident after 4 hours or so. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
OK! I've been doing the "reward" after going outside but it's only been vocal praise as my sister gives her treats whenever she wants, thus making treat training difficult./ Will vocal be enough though?
Unless the dog gets super jazzed by your "good girl" then I would add in a treat. Make it something high value that she doesn't normally get. Small piece of chicken or hot dog is always a good one. And make sure you're rewarding immediately after she does her business. Like within 2-3 seconds.

And the last time she went to a vet that I know about was around early last year. She had parvo so they kept her at the vets for a few weeks. Finished her shots afterwards but I can't say for sure when the last trip was. So things could have changed since then BUT she has managed to hold it for 6 hours before. We just won't think much of it if she has an accident after 4 hours or so. :)
If she's peeing in the house after 4 hours, she's not house trained. A house trained dog will not pee in the house if they can help it. A healthy dog can hold it for more than 4 hours. So it's either one or the other. I don't know a whole lot about parvo's lasting effects but I would look into see if that has any bladder related lingering side effects.

My guess is that she was taken out frequently enough before that it masked her lack of complete house training.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, this dog has been moved around quite a bit with no issues. Had to read your postings a few times, but this one sticks out to me. Can you elaborate on the neighbors dog - what kind or is it small or large?

Have to wonder if the neighbors dog has anything to do with it. Have they met? One has to wonder if it's something territorial due to the dog next door...
The dog in question looks to be a mix of some sort? I can't tell because there's another person's yard between ours but we can see it plainly from where we are. It's a puppy so around half her size, maybe a little bigger. They haven't been able to meet because of the distance between them. She knows it's there though as she would bark and whine constantly at it when we first moved in. After a couple of weeks of that, Angel quit and outright ignored it as she usually does once she adjusts to the other dog's presence/existence (which I will explain below when I answer the second part of your post).

The only thing that changed was it was whining a little bit that night so it caught her interest. Once she saw it was there, she just wanted to get over to it.

You also say that the dog is questionable when it comes to smaller dogs and birds and such. Also, what's the dogs average exercise routine?
Questionable is probably a bad word choice. I'll break it down into dog sizes and gender since it varies due to different circumstances. Sorry for another (possibly) long post for you to sort through! :(

SMALL DOGS of ANY GENDER

My sister had a daschund/chihuahua mix that lived at her dad's (although everyone considered her his dog because they became inseparable). She had the typical big-dog-in-a-small-dog syndrome. She would bark at strangers, go towards their feet (never bit), and growl/snap at any dog that would come close to her. After a while, she would end up tolerating their presence but her patience was thin.

When she and Angel first met, Angel was still a curious puppy so her excitement levels were sky high. The daschund cross, Princess, didn't like the constant nose bumps, or licks on her face, or this large puppy bouncing around trying to play with her so she did growl with only one snap towards Angel after the growling made Angel was to play even more. There was no aggression shown then OR any instance afterwards whenever Angel was around Princess. The only thing she would do would sniff her and /maybe/ lick her quickly before moving on.

The only downfall is how rough Angel is when she plays. She likes to use her entire body and her paws a lot. Her favorite thing to do is put a paw on their back and hold them down. Once down, she will jump away so they can chase her, like some odd game of tag. If she was do play like this with small dogs, especially dog breeds or mixes like Princess, it would lead to injury. Plus, her prey drive is high and she's shown to be impulsive when it comes to certain things like cars; fine with one passing by, not with another and will dart without warning. Like she will be facing the complete opposite way, sniffing the air, generally disinterested, then whip around and dart out at the passing car even though she stood calmly when the first went by. No signs of ANY aggression at the car until the very last minute. This makes walks difficult.

Her prey drive is what leads us to not allow her to be around small dogs regardless of whether she is leashed or not. There's a cat outside that she will ignore until it runs. She'll walk past it, bump/sniff it with her nose, and maybe look over at it a few times if it's cleaning itself. Her body language is relaxed as can be when this happens but it's when the cat runs away that Angel wants to chase after it. She chased it up a tree before (because my sister's husband is irresponsible and finds that funny) so we're wary that the same pursuit could happen with a small dog when playing that could injure the smaller dog.

SAME SIZE OR LARGER DOGS of MALE GENDER

When she was at the vet's for her last round of shots (some time early last year), there were many different dogs in the waiting room. We noticed she showed no interest in male dogs her size or larger opposed to females (which will be covered below).

Just recently within the past month, she was introduced to a male 11 year old wolfhound mix. He was a larger than her by an inch or so and his energy level did not match her's at all. The first sniff went well, just taking turns sniffing each other, until Angel wanted to play. She wanted to jump up on him with her legs wrapped around his chest which, to me, looked like she was going to "assert her dominance" on him. We kept stopping her from doing that each time because the wolfhound mix had back and hip issues. He got tired of it by the third time so he growled. Angel moved on and kept her distance after that, only approaching to sniff him or to look out the window he was by.

Angel was also raised with a male littermate who perished November/December of 2014.

SAME SIZE OR LARGER DOGS of FEMALE GENDER

Iffy, so very very iffy. When we had her at the vets for her last round of shots (mentioned above), she kept whining and pulling towards all the female dogs her size or larger. We kept her close by but when one person entered without their dog properly leashed, it came too close and Angel lunged out at her. Complete opposite of the male dogs who came just as close.

My sister's dad has another female dog who I would consider a border collie/lab mix (unknown parentage). She is about the same size as the male wolfhound but does not like Angel at all. We've tried introducing them slowly but there's something territorial about the way the lab mix acts so it could be Angel feeding off of that. Anyways, when we introduce them, it's always outside with quite a bit of distance between them. Lady growls no matter how far Angel is but Angel shifts between no interest and pulling/whining towards Lady. It's a sudden change like how she is with passing cars. This has been a slow process.

The most recent introduction between the two was close enough for them to sniff each other. Lady didn't like some quick action Angel did (she prances and jumps sometimes when outside so it was whatever movement she does right before she hops away) and Lady growled at her. Rather than move away as she did with the wolfhound mix, Angel went to fight even though Lady only growled. My sister pulled Angel back the moment Angel went towards Lady (no actual contact) and it was like she completely forgot Lady existed. That is, until she saw Lady again and started to pull towards her a second time. They haven't had any meeting since then.

We've had two neighbors beside us in the time we've lived here. Both have had female dogs and both have opposite reactions from Angel.

First neighbor's dog was Angel's size and there was nothing friendly between Angel and this dog. No meeting ever occurred as each time Angel saw it outside, she would lunge, bark, growl, etc at the dog.

Second neighbor's dog is a rottweiler a little bigger than Angel. Met once, Angel sniffed it, and now they just ignore each other. Rottweiler is outside more often than not so the two of them spend quite a bit of time in each other's company whenever we take Angel to the bathroom. Something of note: she's never tried to play with the rottweiler yet so that's odd.

PIT BULLS OF ANY GENDER

I don't see this ever happening. She has straight aggression with pit bulls however it used to just be with female pit bulls. When she was with my sister, there was someone who shared their hotel that also had a pit bull. He was loose (due to owner carelessness) when Angel first met him accidentally. It was then that everyone learned he was dog aggressive. No injuries sustained but ever since then, other pit bulls are off the table.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Great post, now sit down and read it back to yourself because you answered many of your own questions. Pit bulls are considered "powerful breed", I don't subscribe to any breed being "powerful". Yeah, they tend to be large and muscular - but powerful dictates confidence, demands respect. Your dog is neither. The pit bull in question is disrespectful, your dog doesn't know what it is to respect another dog, she doesn't know how. Hence her reactions, and other dogs reactions to her. Other dogs reactions towards her are corrections - they are telling her you're not being respectful, back off, get out of my space. If she were to do that to my dog, she would be more surprised by his reaction - and I would probably be grabbing my dog lol.

You mentioned the Dachshund - that dog was actually fearful, it's putting on a show but if confronted, would probably run away. It breaks my heart to see a fearful Dachshund, the translation is "Badger Dog", they were bred to be fearless and take on a badger down a dark hole - to enter a badgers den and drag them out. So why would a Dachshund be fearful? Having a pit bull learn from a small fearful dog isn't a good thing.

We are getting away from the pooping in the house issue. Could the pooping in the house be part of the dog next door? It could be, she was very focused on it...

I'll post more later, a friend has a pitty that presents itself exactly like yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great post, now sit down and read it back to yourself because you answered many of your own questions. Pit bulls are considered "powerful breed", I don't subscribe to any breed being "powerful". Yeah, they tend to be large and muscular - but powerful dictates confidence, demands respect. Your dog is neither. The pit bull in question is disrespectful, your dog doesn't know what it is to respect another dog, she doesn't know how. Hence her reactions, and other dogs reactions to her. Other dogs reactions towards her are corrections - they are telling her you're not being respectful, back off, get out of my space. If she were to do that to my dog, she would be more surprised by his reaction - and I would probably be grabbing my dog lol.

You mentioned the Dachshund - that dog was actually fearful, it's putting on a show but if confronted, would probably run away. It breaks my heart to see a fearful Dachshund, the translation is "Badger Dog", they were bred to be fearless and take on a badger down a dark hole - to enter a badgers den and drag them out. So why would a Dachshund be fearful? Having a pit bull learn from a small fearful dog isn't a good thing.

We are getting away from the pooping in the house issue. Could the pooping in the house be part of the dog next door? It could be, she was very focused on it...

I'll post more later, a friend has a pitty that presents itself exactly like yours.
Yeah, there's a LAAAARGE lack of respect towards other dogs and that's probably due to how my sister and her husband raised her. Isolated, never corrected, praised as a means to get her attention away from something. Even towards people, she shows little signs of respect. I've tried the only way I know when it comes to teaching her not to jump or get in a small child's face (same child she pushed down to the ground and got on top of like she did with the wolfhound--straddled posture, 'humping' stance) which that in itself was a NOT OKAY thing to do yet my sister subscribes to the ideal that Angel knows right from wrong so she won't hurt a kid.

We also learned that arm movements even when not directed at someone is not something we can do around Angel. My sister ended up doing the 'Running Man' dance (running in place for some exercise) and even those small arm movements made Angel jump on her as if she was going to bite. No lip snarls, no growling, no really mouth-to-skin contact, but the fact that she did that towards my sister who is her owner was startling. I can only imagine what could happen if she did that to someone else.

Either way, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle after talking with my sister last night. I explained what you all have said like potty training her again but she doesn't get it. She said Angel just doesn't want to wake her up and knows what she's doing is wrong, etc etc. Classic humanization basically. That in itself is frustrating. What's even more frustrating is that she used the fly swatter on her the other morning after finding another accident in the kitchen. I've tried explaining pain and fear =/= positive results but it does no good.

To be completely honest, they only got Angel because she was the only other one showing interest in them when they went to pick out her brother. And they only got him because he was blue and Blue = $$$. Now they also mention wanting to breed her for puppies, keep one, and sell the rest. Literally JUST using her for money regardless of temperament and so on. In fact, they want to fight some law in some state they want to live in that forces non-approved dog owners to get their dogs spayed/neutered. They seem to think that "dogs shouldn't be punished like that" when its quite beneficial for many reasons.

Like, IDK what I thought I'd accomplish making this thread. Maybe that my sister would change her view or listen to reason but I should have known that would be a longshot.

You guys helped a ton, though, and should I ever want to adopt a dog (with a proper trainer on hand), I'll at least know what to do if I encounter this in the future. So thank you all who have provided advice!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I love pit bulls, special place in my heart for them. In the right hands, they are incredible dogs but in the wrong hands, they can be weaponized, and that's truly unfortunate. It's not only pit bulls, any dog large or small can end up the same but unfortunately, pit bulls are the ones under scrutiny.

You mentioned prey drive - and not sure if she would actually kill a small dog. I can tell you that yes indeed, given the chance she would. My friend has a 50 pound pitty, she is a beautiful dog - just very hyper, wants to be a lap dog with people, but she gets so excited that she hurts and knocks people over. I can deal with her, get her calmed down, but I don't think i have the time to help her.

I brought my dog to gauge what she would do to a small dog - the owner has never been sure. I had her under full control. These dogs tend not to growl, not to warn before they bite - I could see it in her eyes, mouth open and she lunged for him, she would have killed him which breaks my heart. She can't run free at a dog park, she can't be around kids - and unfortunately is locked in a room when people enter the home. That's the story of this beautiful dogs life at the moment.

The owner is working to get some help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts