Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old cocker spaniel has what I thought was a black mole on his shoulder. But today it somehow opened up and some black / very dark brown discharge is leaking out of it. Does anyone know what this is? Any advice?
Arm Human body Gesture Foot Human leg

Grey Wood Font Tints and shades Rectangle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like it was possibly some type of abscess and now it has old blood and puss in it. That will need flushed and antibiotics. Go to a vet. If you have them in your area, humane society and sicsa both have affordable vet clinics. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like it was possibly some type of abscess and now it has old blood and puss in it. That will need flushed and antibiotics. Go to a vet. If you have them in your area, humane society and sicsa both have affordable vet clinics. Good luck!
I agree that this looks like an abscess, and ideally would be seen by a vet. However, if cost is a concern (or if, like here, vet appointments are in scarce supply), I've had luck treating abscesses and skin inflammations at home with a salt and rosemary solution. Rosemary's a natural antiseptic, and salt is hygroscopic and works to draw out pus and decrease inflammation. The solution can be prepared by boiling a good handful of rosemary in a few cups of water for about 5 minutes, filtering it through a sieve lined with cheesecloth, then adding salt at about 5% by weight and stirring until dissolved. Once the solution is lukewarm to cool, you can either immerse the area (such as for thorns in paws) or wipe with a cloth. Repeat the wound cleansing twice a day, and you should see improvement in a day or two. Good luck, and I hope your pup is okay!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that this looks like an abscess, and ideally would be seen by a vet. However, if cost is a concern (or if, like here, vet appointments are in scarce supply), I've had luck treating abscesses and skin inflammations at home with a salt and rosemary solution. Rosemary's a natural antiseptic, and salt is hygroscopic and works to draw out pus and decrease inflammation. The solution can be prepared by boiling a good handful of rosemary in a few cups of water for about 5 minutes, filtering it through a sieve lined with cheesecloth, then adding salt at about 5% by weight and stirring until dissolved. Once the solution is lukewarm to cool, you can either immerse the area (such as for thorns in paws) or wipe with a cloth. Repeat the wound cleansing twice a day, and you should see improvement in a day or two. Good luck, and I hope your pup is okay!
Right. All that works well. A little easier is what I do. I treat a lot of skin infections myself as well. Wash with dawn dish soap with the duck on it, rinse. If you have a child medication syringe (without needle) get some saline solution and squirt that in the sore. (worst case, use peroxide then flush with boiled water...once it's room temp). Then put antibiotic ointment on it. Keep it clean. If you can't get to a vet do that. I also give them antibiotics but idk of you have any or how to show you the correct dosage if not in person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts