That's it i need to vent!!!! - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior > Puppy Help

That's it i need to vent!!!!

This is a discussion on That's it i need to vent!!!! within the Puppy Help forums, part of the Dog Training and Behavior category; Well, as dumb as this sounds, I hope it is the meds - at least then you have an answer and things will get back ...

User Tag List

Like Tree14Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 AM
  #11
Senior Member
 
lucklein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, as dumb as this sounds, I hope it is the meds - at least then you have an answer and things will get back to normal. What an awful experience. I'm glad you checked out alright. Keep us posted.
lucklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
  #12
Senior Member
 
KayWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well they've taken her off the metacam, and has noted that she has adverse reactions to it on her file, our vet checked out everything and says she's healing really well but has a small seroma (sp?) on the bottom left of her stitches (not surprised). She also told me to put a warm compress on it a few times a day to help it reabsorb.

She's been cleared to go on walks, but try to keep the pulling to a minimum (ha!); also she said to keep trying to limit the jumping (ha, again!). We went for a walk this morning and so far she's only tried to nip at me once. We're really going to be working on calming commands.

Aside from a headache today, I feel renewed and hopeful; I've even set up a play date at my mom's co-workers acreage for Tessa and their GSD Brandi.
crazy likes this.
KayWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
  #13
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayWilson View Post
Well they've taken her off the metacam, and has noted that she has adverse reactions to it on her file, our vet checked out everything and says she's healing really well but has a small seroma (sp?) on the bottom left of her stitches (not surprised). She also told me to put a warm compress on it a few times a day to help it reabsorb.

She's been cleared to go on walks, but try to keep the pulling to a minimum (ha!); also she said to keep trying to limit the jumping (ha, again!). We went for a walk this morning and so far she's only tried to nip at me once. We're really going to be working on calming commands.

Aside from a headache today, I feel renewed and hopeful; I've even set up a play date at my mom's co-workers acreage for Tessa and their GSD Brandi.
Glad you took her to vet and got her off the metacam i had no idea about the adverse reactions to it as Jessie had it after her spay and was quiet and just laying and sleeping. I do have to say it is very unusual for a Labrador to get aggressive and do what Tessa did with you!

Big hugs to you for having to go through all that.
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 PM
  #14
Senior Member
 
CobbersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just found this thread - haven't been on in a few days. Wow, what an experience you and Tessa have been through!! I hope taking her off that medication and increasing the walks helps her calm down a little, and especially to stop biting you!!

Not that there's a direct correlation here, but since our timelines and biting issues have been pretty similar.... Cobber has neuter surgery set for 3 weeks from now, and then he'll be out of commission for a week to 10 days after (and that's if everything goes smoothly), so I've got my fingers crossed I don't end up with a holy terror from the frustration and inactivity.

How are things going today?
CobbersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
  #15
Senior Member
 
KayWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbersMom View Post
I just found this thread - haven't been on in a few days. Wow, what an experience you and Tessa have been through!! I hope taking her off that medication and increasing the walks helps her calm down a little, and especially to stop biting you!!

Not that there's a direct correlation here, but since our timelines and biting issues have been pretty similar.... Cobber has neuter surgery set for 3 weeks from now, and then he'll be out of commission for a week to 10 days after (and that's if everything goes smoothly), so I've got my fingers crossed I don't end up with a holy terror from the frustration and inactivity.

How are things going today?
She's doing a bit better, but has her moments of insanity still. I think she needs a real good romp, which will be next weekend with Brandi the GSD. No matter how much I do with her (I've taught her 7 more tricks) and how much exercise I give her she needs a cardio outlet that can't happen till 14 days are up.

On the plus side, she now knows how to play dead and will adorable do the pose when I tell her to stop biting
KayWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 PM
  #16
Senior Member
 
KayWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hope Cobber doesn't go through the extra bitey stage. If he does, try getting him loads of things to shred. When Tessa gets extra jumpy and nippy I've been redirecting her to a cardboar box or paper towel roll. It seems to help with the need to expend energy and take out some anger/boredom which reduces the nippy behaviour more so then giving her a kong or a bone.
CobbersMom likes this.
KayWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM
  #17
Senior Member
 
KayWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Don't know where to post this...

So it's going on here.

So I was talking long and hard with my mom about Tessa and her biting, and she said she's as flummoxed as I am about it. I then left to go on an interview (fingers crossed), leaving my mom and Tessa alone for about 2 hours. I came home a little earlier then I predicted and came into my mom smacking Tessa on the face for biting/jumping on her. It wasn't a beat down, but it wasn't just a tap. I, of course, lost it a bit and asked her why she would think smacking Tessa would stop the biting. She said she only did it as self defence.

In my mom's defence, this is just how they treated dogs in her day (she's 67), and it's hard to stop dominance theory when it's so easy to do; even though you get 0 results. I've tried talking till I'm blue in the face about positive training method, but I'm not sure if you can teach an old human new tricks . So I've bought her some books by Sofia Yin and a couple others who write about PR; hoping they'll work. In the mean time, how do I undo what's been done?

I had noticed a few days ago that when I went to pet her on the head she flinched a bit, but figured it was because she was wincing out of pain at her incision. I've also noticed Tessa only bites/nips when she WANTS attention like now. For instance if I'm on the laptop, she'll run up to me and grab my arm and attempt to drag me toward her. Or she wants to be fed or go for a walk; basically she always grabs my arm/hand and pulls me to where she wants me. She also nips when she's over excited/anxious and is in her zoomie time (around 7:30 pm).

I can sort of see why she did it, because when Tessa get's going she REALLY gets going (I'm assuming my mom's been negatively reinforcing it with probably treats and negative attention); but there has got to be a better method...So I turn to yous guys
KayWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 AM
  #18
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayWilson View Post
So it's going on here.

So I was talking long and hard with my mom about Tessa and her biting, and she said she's as flummoxed as I am about it. I then left to go on an interview (fingers crossed), leaving my mom and Tessa alone for about 2 hours. I came home a little earlier then I predicted and came into my mom smacking Tessa on the face for biting/jumping on her. It wasn't a beat down, but it wasn't just a tap. I, of course, lost it a bit and asked her why she would think smacking Tessa would stop the biting. She said she only did it as self defence.

In my mom's defence, this is just how they treated dogs in her day (she's 67), and it's hard to stop dominance theory when it's so easy to do; even though you get 0 results. I've tried talking till I'm blue in the face about positive training method, but I'm not sure if you can teach an old human new tricks . So I've bought her some books by Sofia Yin and a couple others who write about PR; hoping they'll work. In the mean time, how do I undo what's been done?

I had noticed a few days ago that when I went to pet her on the head she flinched a bit, but figured it was because she was wincing out of pain at her incision. I've also noticed Tessa only bites/nips when she WANTS attention like now. For instance if I'm on the laptop, she'll run up to me and grab my arm and attempt to drag me toward her. Or she wants to be fed or go for a walk; basically she always grabs my arm/hand and pulls me to where she wants me. She also nips when she's over excited/anxious and is in her zoomie time (around 7:30 pm).

I can sort of see why she did it, because when Tessa get's going she REALLY gets going (I'm assuming my mom's been negatively reinforcing it with probably treats and negative attention); but there has got to be a better method...So I turn to yous guys
Ive been thinking on what to say to this! I am appalled by your mum hitting tessa! what a start has tessa had? day care going wrong and horrible and now your mum hitting her? its no wonder she is biting the way she is!

Only way to undo whats been done is well are you able to get a place of your own? if not i highly suggest you dont leave Tessa with your mum at all, also dont forget to make sure that tessa has very positive experiences with you and i suppose train her to change whats been done. Eg dont pat her on the head but start with under her chin for a bit then slowly work your way to top of your head and just stroke her and say good girl in a calm voice.

Seems tessa needs to learn to be patient, not sure how to stop her going for your wrist in that process but she has to learn to be patient and cant get her own way that your the boss and she isnt, she isnt the leader.

I am so sorry that you and tessa have to go through what you are going through such a shame!
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 AM
  #19
Senior Member
 
LiliRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Deep Dark Africa
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayWilson View Post
So it's going on here.

So I was talking long and hard with my mom about Tessa and her biting, and she said she's as flummoxed as I am about it. I then left to go on an interview (fingers crossed), leaving my mom and Tessa alone for about 2 hours. I came home a little earlier then I predicted and came into my mom smacking Tessa on the face for biting/jumping on her. It wasn't a beat down, but it wasn't just a tap. I, of course, lost it a bit and asked her why she would think smacking Tessa would stop the biting. She said she only did it as self defence.

In my mom's defence, this is just how they treated dogs in her day (she's 67), and it's hard to stop dominance theory when it's so easy to do; even though you get 0 results. I've tried talking till I'm blue in the face about positive training method, but I'm not sure if you can teach an old human new tricks . So I've bought her some books by Sofia Yin and a couple others who write about PR; hoping they'll work. In the mean time, how do I undo what's been done?

I had noticed a few days ago that when I went to pet her on the head she flinched a bit, but figured it was because she was wincing out of pain at her incision. I've also noticed Tessa only bites/nips when she WANTS attention like now. For instance if I'm on the laptop, she'll run up to me and grab my arm and attempt to drag me toward her. Or she wants to be fed or go for a walk; basically she always grabs my arm/hand and pulls me to where she wants me. She also nips when she's over excited/anxious and is in her zoomie time (around 7:30 pm).

I can sort of see why she did it, because when Tessa get's going she REALLY gets going (I'm assuming my mom's been negatively reinforcing it with probably treats and negative attention); but there has got to be a better method...So I turn to yous guys
Went through the same thing with my mom (she's 62)......printed out a bunch of PR stuff for her to read, and in the end what swayed her was seeing how Leesi responds to PR. My cousin came to visit the other night and she asked Leesi to sit, when Leesi didn't she started saying it louder and louder. My mom said nuh uh this is how it's done, gently told Leesi to sit with the correct hand sign and voila! "See you don't have to shout at her!!" <<< mom

So there is hope for you and your mom and your mom and Tessa. Get her involved in training!!!!!

I'm still thinking you should put Tessa in time out when she does it. That way she gets no reinforcement for her behaviour what so ever and it's a gentle way to get her to understand if you do that you get NOTHING from me. closed, safe and boring room like the bathroom or something. I did this with Kita, it took 3 times and that was it. No fighting, no shouting, no yelling, no intimidation. Might be wrong though....

Maybe also teach her a play cue? Something that she can do if she wants to play/get attention from you? Like ringing a bell, bringing a toy.
KayWilson likes this.
LiliRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM
  #20
Senior Member
 
KayWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LiliRay- I thought you had a similar experience with your mom. I bought a whole shwack of books on PR and printed pretty much this entire forum's thread on PR. My mom now has a binder waiting for her .

Like I said Crazy, I don't think she meant it in a mean way, and I've seen her love on Tessa. She's no dog abuser. But people in the 50's and 60's just used dominance theory to get their dogs to do what they want. She's done good on some of the methods, just when Tessa gets too worked up and pushy, my mom gets scared and returns to what she knows (as bad as it is). I won't be moving out because we both can't afford to live separately (I own half the house) and I love my mom enough to teach her better
KayWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just have to vent!!!!! BanditsMom Dog Training and Behavior 6 06-17-2013 03:59 AM
Please! (vent) AmberH General Dog Discussion 6 09-04-2011 10:45 PM
I Just Need To Vent chloe4ever Dog Breeds 23 11-14-2010 04:57 PM
Just need to vent please katiemyrottie Dog Health 6 09-09-2010 07:53 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.