I owned a greyhound and this was my experience..
- was content to sleep most of the day while we were gone
- every day she would go wild and run around the yard very fast for about a minute
- very friendly around other dogs (adopted her at five too)
- never heard her bark
- stayed right by my side while walking with no prior training
- gorgeous dogs (:
- didn't like to sit - body isn't build for sitting
- would fall asleep outside during the day & was such a cuddle buddy
- didn't play with toys
I only have owned one greyhound so this may just be her personality.
Also, I wouldn't invest in a dog bed. They'll probably just take the couch!