Dog Forum banner

typical reaction to puppy vaccine??

913 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  naturalfeddogs 
#1 ·
3 days ago (on Thursday) my 15 week old Wheaten had her scheduled booster shots - DHPP, Lepto. She also had Lyme Vaccine and H3N2/H3N8 Canine Flu shots. She was a bit tired that night, but otherwise typical. About 24 hours after the shots, she started having diarrhea....like 4 times over night. I fed her small amounts of white rice and some chicken the next day (Saturday), and she acted pretty normal all day and had one much more typical poop by the evening. Sunday came and she looked fine... I fed her normal kibble and a bit of chicken for her first 2 meals. It's evening and the diarrhea has just started again. She's gone 5 times in 4 hours. She continues to drink water and act playful. Any ideas if this is solely vaccine related? What will the vet do if I take her in?

#2 ·
Hi there!

It sounds like the symptoms your dog is experiencing could be due to the fact that she received several vaccines all at once. Many of the vets I have visited would space out the vaccines over a couple days/weeks (I am not saying your vet did anything wrong, only that that usually happens in my experience). My best guess would be that her diarrhea is caused by all the vaccines.

Since she is acting like normal I would say to give your vet a call and explain the situation, and see what they say. If they are concerned and want you to bring her in, go ahead and do that, but if they say it's normal just keep an eye on her. If she starts declining in any way, take her in!

I hope this helps!

#4 ·
It does sound like vaccine reaction. An overdose of toxins, basically. I never vaccinate unless needed, and only for what needed. I get titers done to determine what antibodies are there and what's not. Then, I vaccinate for ONLY what's needed. Nothing more. Most of the time, non are needed. Non of mine have been vaccinated in years, with the exception of one as a puppy who only got a parvo vaccine.

#5 ·
Thanks! We went back to the vet yesterday morning and she thought it was a vaccine reaction and suggested spacing out more next time. I feel badly because I would have been OK with that in the first place and never thought to ask about it. Zoey in on a probiotic for 10 days, a med to firm up stool and a chicken and rice diet. Oddly enough, she is acting pretty typically.

#7 ·
If you aren't going to titer test, I would for sure at least space them out, even its one at a time. less is more, and overloading causing more issues than benefits. But ai would recommend asking about titers. However, a lot of traditional vets don't have the means to run titer tests, but worth asking about. could save a lot of bad reactions in the long run.

#6 ·
If she has loose stools, you might want to feed her a couple of tablespoons of pure (solid pack) pumpkin. I add a little of plain yogurt and a tiny drizzle of honey to get mine to gobble it up. Have to after every vaccine - we have 4 wolfdogs and all of them get the runs after even on vaccine.

For a 125 lb canine, I give 1/4 cup pumpkin and 1 Tbs yogurt with about 1/2 tsp honey (Skip the honey if the dog is diabetic.) I feed it twice a day, 1-2 days and the runs are over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.