Dog Forum banner

Odd mouth behavior in my dog

795 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Mysticwriter612 
#1 ·
I have a 3 year old chihuahua. Recently she had skin irritation so i took her to the vet for a general check up, nail trim, and to have her skin looked at. She is up to date on all shots. He ruled out mang and then put her on an antibiotic (cephalexin, 1ml x2 a day) and two days later we got a steroid (prednisolone, first 3 days 0.5 mg twice a day we are on day 3, 1/2 for the day) and she has a symptom that I dont see as a side effect. Her jaw and tongue behavior is off. In a nut shell, she CAN and HAS used her tongue and jaw, but shes a bit awkward about it in how she struggled to eat her treat. When we opened her mouth she didnt let us look as well as she normally would have. Shes nit licking our faces like normal. When she went to drink she seemed to CHOOSE to not use her tongue and pawed at water but then eventually she started lapping it up. Till my vet opens monday and i can ask or takenher in i was curious is anyone had any ideas? Shes pooped twice today and normal, same with pee. She ate, but awkwardly. Her gums are proper color, she has no signs of pain. I feel nothing abnormal in her stomach and she didnt mind me checking at all so again no sign of pain. She chewed up a corn dog stick approx 24 hrs ago (again pooped twice since and i broke it up and all is fine) but she will NOT let us look in her mouth real good. I am curious if this is a side effect of meds, or if she may have a splinter we cant see maybe under her tongue? Not sure what to do till i can call my vet, up for suggestions.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.