Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How many times do trainers & vets say...

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bentwings 
#1 ·

"...Never leave a child & a dog together, UNSUPERVISED..."

& why do we say it? -- Just to make life difficult for parents & caregivers?
'Cuz we hate dogs? -- 'cuz we hate kids? -- or is it parents & babysitters we hate?

THIS IS WHY:
Weeks-old infant mauled by dog in Ada County home | WUSA9.com

Monday:
A month-old infant is in the hospital after being "mauled" by at least one of 3 Dachshunds in the home -
there are no details, his injuries are simply described as "serious".
The relationship between the woman in that home & the baby is also undefined - mom, grandmom, paid caregiver, other relative, neighbor, _____ .

She said she put the baby in a mechanical SWING, then went in & out of the house 4X, loading items into the pick-up in the garage, & checking on the baby each time she re-entered. Returning from trip #4, she found the baby on the floor, with "visible injuries", & phoned 911. EMTs stabilized the infant & then took him to a local hospital - the investigation is ongoing.

This is far from the 1st time that dog/s solo with an infant or toddler in an indoor-swing have mauled or killed that child. // It's bizarre that parents & other caregivers continue to leave VERY YOUNG, VERY HELPLESS infants alone with dogs.

Should everyone who cares for a child have to take a competency quiz, & PASS it, 1st? :confused:
Should maternity wards have mandatory 'safety classes' about child-proof locks, toxic household products, swallowable hazards [batteries, coins, magnets, pins, glues...], medications, choke risks [hot dogs, grapes, hard candies, pizza...]?

Literally, this should never happen. It's incredibly frustrating that it *keeps* happening.
Are these ppl completely oblivious to the danger dogs pose to a baby who cannot even ROLL OVER yet?!?!
A 1-MO infant can't sit upright, s/he is cradled by the swing, not able to lift their torso or head.
:headshake: It's hard to imagine why anyone would be so cavalier about the safety of a newborn.

- terry

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can figure out is that people do not want to think that their dog would be capable of such a thing. It's why they let the kid treat the dog like a stuffed animal once the child is older, and expect the dog to just put up with it. My dog would NEVER hurt my child. My dog is so gentle. My dog is a good dog.

News flash to them all, a dog is a dog, every dog has a limit, and every dog can bite.

My Jersey was the perfect kid's dog, she LOVED kids, lit up around them and was forever trying to befriend them. That dog was one of the gentlest dogs I've ever known, did not have a mean bone in her body, and was extremely patient. Despite all of that I never left her alone unsupervised with children. If I had had a child I'd not have left her alone until the child was older and I knew he or she understood how to treat a dog. The reason for that is simple, Jersey was a dog, and there was no way I'd put her or a child, in a position that could end with a child maimed and Jersey losing her life.

Reactions: leashedForLife
#4 · (Edited)
Probably one of the noisiest arguments/fights my now ex wife and I had was early on in our marriage. She had two very young boys from previous marriage. I was considerably older with my kids out of the house, one way or the other. We had adopted a young boxer about a year old. She was a nice mellow dog and liked to be with the kids. Shortly after we got the boxer wife left the dog with the kids in their bedroom while she was making dinner. I came home from work and noticed the dog was not around. Asking wife she said the dog was sleeping with the kids. I probably started the fight by sharply criticizing this. I promptly went in and brought the dog into the kitchen. No roughness to the dog, she was happy to see me.

Wife had become angry by now. She said she had had dogs most of her life and dogs love kids. I asked how many times she had heard of dogs mauling kids when not supervised. It blew up from there and went on for about a week. I forget what the final,words were but from then on she never left a dog alone with the kids. Nor did I, even though I often took the kids with me on my dog training excursions. Sometimes changing diapers on the tailgate of the station wagon at the training field with the dogs anxiously watching me.
I asked the kids recently what their earliest memories were. This was one of them. Haha.

So please don't leave the kids and dog unattended.

Reactions: leashedForLife
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.