I've been asked to come here & introduce myself so I am
I'm an animal lover & have been my whole life, but I haven't had animals since around 1993 when I sold my mulloccan cokatoo, corn snake, chinchillas, rats & red eared turtles.
I grew up with dogs & looking back, I'm sure they saved my life, as they were the only living thing that gave me love.
I had a dog briefly in 1991, but I was too busy to take care of her & she didn't seem to bond with me so I gave her away.
For that reason I came to the conclusion that I probably resonate more with bigger dogs (she was a Lasa Apso sp?), but I'm not looking for a giant.
At this point in my life I'm alone. My son is gone & I work from home, so I am not out there socializing & I just moved to this town about 2+ years ago.
It's not healthy to be that alone so for my sanity & health, so about 2 wks. ago I decided it's time to get a dog. I have the space & the time now.
I've wanted one for years, but b/c of the cost, constantly moving around & dealing with difficult landlords who say "no pets" I put it off.
At this point I've decided even if it's a bit of a struggle financially, I'll make do & the Universe will provide in the end.
I've been looking around on Kijiji for someone who's giving away their dog.
I decided to start educating myself b/c things have changed a ton in regards to dogs since I was a little girl. Even when I had that dog in '91 there was no Internet to research & so I learned very little in the short time I had her.
I grew up (at different times) with a Beagle, G. Shepp., 2 different Cananite dogs & the last dog who didn't bond with me (an Australian Terrier).
I'm looking for the following in a dog.
1. Very intelligent
2. Doesn't need so much exercise that I can't handle all the walks. I'm not an active person, but I know the dog will get me out there which will help me be more active. I have a huge backyard, but it's not fenced in & I'm nervous the dog will do something to the neighbour's area, so I have to learn how to train him to go & come right back.
3. Doesn't shed a ton all the time.
4. Isn't known to have tons of health problems.
5. Doesn't bark all the time. I figure maybe down the road I'd like to train it to be a guard dog, but that's not 100%.
6. There are certain dogs I find to be unattractive so I wouldn't lean towards them, but when push comes to shove, I'm a suck when it comes to dogs.
I've decided I don't want a puppy, while they are adorable, I am just not great when it comes to training, so I'm looking at 1-5 years of age.
Hope that explains things.
Thank you for listening & any help you give me.