First, I just want to start by saying that my roommate (who is also a good friend) impulse bought a male Boston Terrier who was about 8-9 months old at the time.
I'm just looking for ANY kind of advice I can get at this point because I seriously don't know how to approach the situation anymore.
So I've been having a really hard time trying to deal with this whole situation and I have hit this low point, which brought me here.
For the sake of not having to type out the last 5 1/2 months of my life I'll just list off the issues at hand first.
- He takes the dog out a MAXIMUM of 3 times a day (just to let him go to the bathroom) The dog will even be begging by the door, and I'll tell my roommate hes begging to go out and he will just say "No, I let him out not that long ago" when in reality it was probably over 3 hours ago.
- The dog is neglected overall. He won't put the effort in to even train him to sit, etc. the only thing the dog slightly has a grasp on is "no" and "off". My roommates schedule is waking up at noon, and going to bed at 2am. He doesn't work, nor does he go to school. So it's not that he does not have the time to spend with his dog and play with him at all. The dog also does not receive any exercise besides the short amount of walking he does when going to the bathroom.
- I just found out that he has been overfeeding him since he got the dog. He has been feeding him about 2 cups of Iams a day. I read the bag and the recommended food per day was 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups.
- The dog also refuses to eat some days. This becomes more frequent when my roommate decides to leave for like 4-5 days and leave me to watch him. There have been times where he won't eat for up to 2 days no matter how hard I try to even get him to nibble.
- He doesn't even have a brush for him or take him to be regularly groomed.
or even bathe him often. The dog has received 3 baths in the 6 months that we have had him and one of them was me because he sometimes pees on himself because he lifts his leg too high, and my roommate wasn't going to give him a bath after soaking both of his front legs in urine. Also, he FINALLY took the dog in to get his nails clipped after 5 MONTHS! I had to HOUND him about doing it.
- The dog has very high anxiety and is unhealthily submissive.
- frequent vomiting possibly from eating too fast, or acid reflux?
- Very untrained on the leash, he pulls constantly.
- My roommate said he saw worms in his feces and went and bought dewormer from PetCo. Not only did he not read the instructions which said to consult a vet first, he also gave him both pills over the coarse of 2 days when the box said only to give one. Now he refuses to take him to the vet to see if he still has them.
- He occasionally bites his feet
- Constant groin licking (but doesn't show any side effects like browning)
- I don't know if this is really an issue but when the dog gets excited he sort of spasms in a motion like if you were to hunch your back and flex your stomach really fast.
I just don't know how to handle this anymore. I have tried talking to him and educating him from all the things that I have looked up on forums and other reliable sources. I've even started a fight with my roommate awhile ago about him being irresponsible and neglecting his dog and he refuses to see his wrongdoing. I don't have the money, or the time to take care of this dog like he deserves.