On my other forum a members dog got into some rat poison. They had it put up where they thought he would never get it, but he managed. They immediately called an e-vet, induced vomiting, and he was treated and is recovering. But I have heard of a lot of people over the years having the same thing happen and the results weren't always good.
I decided to start a thread over there with a listing of pest removers or killers that are not harmful to pet dogs and cats but that are effective. Thought I'd do the same here. Maybe even get both threads stickied once all the info is gathered.
For ants I use cayenne pepper sprinkled around the outside of my house. Has worked great so far.
Beetles and things, including fleas, Diatomaceous Earth works well and is pet safe.
For bees, regular flies, and fruit flies I make traps instead of spraying. Fill a 2 litre bottle or something similar part way with water and honey or sugar. The flies either drown or I wait til there are a few in there and cap it real fast to be thrown away. Then I replace it with a new bottle.
That's all I have personal experience with, everyone feel free to post whats worked for you!
Oh, and be careful with gum and candy containing Xylitol. Usually found in sugar free candies and gums, it is toxic to dogs. One piece can kill a 50lb dog.
My pup Renee got into a container of Ice Breakers gum (contains Xylitol) once and I called the vet as soon as I saw her with it. They had me check the ingredients and told me about Xylitol being toxic. I was terrified. Since it was less than 30 minutes between ingestion and the call, I was told to include vomiting and bring her in if she started acting funny. She puked up every piece and was fine. Whew!