I'm emergency dog sitting for 3 days and need your advice.
My mom rescued a 4 year old female husky, Princess. She is now 6 years old. Bear in mind that she, myself or my family has no experience what so ever with dogs. I also don't live with my mother, so I don't know her *that* well. We don't know her background. She's made 2 other homes that we know of. Sad
Here's some information about her:
- She likes hugs. She'll roll on her back when she sees you arrive and even if she doesn't know you she will lay her weight on you, like a hug. She bows down her head at 180 degrees sometimes just to lay it on your leg lol. One of the sweetest dogs I ever saw in my life.
- She snapped at my hand once when I tried to take her blanket while she was in her bed. No contact was actually made because I quickly moved it away. Nothing else.
- The only time she barks is when my 7-year-old brother's friends and are too excited outside (never inside). She will then bark at her friends and stop them from picking objects from the ground. She doesn't bite, but it's scary. Territorial showdown?
- 0 signs of aggressivity towards humans otherwise. A robber wouldn't have any issues.
- She entered a fight with dogs twice. They growled and softy bit each other (no blood).
- At first, she was more aggressive towards dogs (unsocialized). Now she's doing much better.
- She doesn't like to play. She will rarely run after a ball, let alone bring it back.
- She'd really love a bite of my chickens, and potentially of the feral cats.
I have a cat at home. She is very sweet. She saw the dog, SSSSSSSSSSSHT at her a few times and puffed her fur, but then she was rolling on the floor to greet her. She's very excited at her sight. She has no claws so she can't defend herself. She's a house cat. She has no aggressivity whatsoever inside her, except for flies. She never bit or hissed at anyone.
Now, here's my question: Can I let the dog inside?
I don't want any accidents. But I also don't want her to spend 3 days outside, poor thing.
Here's the behavior of Princess while she was eating food, which I put right next to the patio door (50 cm) and the cat was freaking out at her:
- Tail lowered, but not between her legs
- Eyes not staring at the cat, usually not looking at her
- No sounds (but then again she rarely makes any)
- Body tends to go away from her, or maybe face her?
- Ears up
- Generally speaking, she doesn't seem to give her much attention
If she goes away from the door and the cat jumps on all the windows to follow her, she will make sure she's as far away as possible from the window, while not flanking the bars completely. When she's done eating she doesn't stay there, she goes elsewhere.
PS: I will move her food if you guys think it's stressing her out.
If there's only a slight chance that she will snap my cat in half, she'll have to stay outside. But I'm willing to try and get her inside if you think it's going to be okay!