Dogs can't go outside | no excercise -Need help-

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior

Dogs can't go outside | no excercise -Need help-

This is a discussion on Dogs can't go outside | no excercise -Need help- within the Dog Training and Behavior forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello I live with my family and we have 2 yorkshire terriers. One is 11 years old and the other is 4. We didn't know ...

User Tag List

Like Tree17Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 09:37 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dogs can't go outside | no excercise -Need help-

Hello

I live with my family and we have 2 yorkshire terriers. One is 11 years old and the other is 4.
We didn't know how to educate dogs when we got the first one so mistakes were done, but I personally learned with the time how to educate them a little, but my family doesn't, or ignore it most of the time, so it's simply impossible for me alone to educate them when the rest of the family does it wrong by spoiling them and doing other actions that dogs see as submissive.

The main problem is that they can't go outside, they go completely nuts when they see another animal and they will bark their lungs out and make other dogs bark too and its hell every time I try to take them outside, people watch from their windows or open their doors to see whats happening, because it really sounds like my dogs were trying to brutally murder someone when they see another dog (even though they are harmless but that's not the point). It's just so annoying and bad having to deal with the two little beasts while hearing barks from all over the place because of them. I tried everything, I read guides on how to solve this, but it not only is very hard but also my family is still submissive with them so it's me against the rest of the family (I talked to them about this but they don't really care).
It took a long time for the old one to stop trying to go savage over the other when they brought it, and they are still in dominance between themselves today because of my family being submissive with them.

I feel bad for the dogs, specially the 11 year old one since he barely went outside and enjoyed a dog life because of this, he is still relatively young, I mean, he still can run and all and I want him to enjoy the time he has left, but I don't know how.

I tried making them run on a running machine we have so they can at least get tired and sleep normally, but the min speed is too fast for them to not fear it at first. I really don't know what to do.

Any idea is welcome. Thank you.

Last edited by Ando; 08-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Solution involves more going outside not less. More exercise not less.

More training is probably not a bad thing, even old dogs can learn new tricks. You probably won't make your 11yo love other dogs but you can definitely teach him not to go nuts when he sees them.
oraczen likes this.
Esand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esand View Post
Solution involves more going outside not less. More exercise not less.

More training is probably not a bad thing, even old dogs can learn new tricks. You probably won't make your 11yo love other dogs but you can definitely teach him not to go nuts when he sees them.
I know this, I never denied this. In my post I talk about how hard (or impossible) this is to do with my family being submissive with them and spoiling them.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I know this, I never denied this. In my post I talk about how hard (or impossible) this is to do with my family being submissive with them and spoiling them.
I won't comment on the family issue but socialization is something you can do without anyone else help. Take them for more walks for longer time. Take them to the park with some noise canceling headphones and let them bark for hours while you read a book. Rinse and repeat.

If you care about this issue you have the power to do something and while your family doesn't help, they're not hindering it.
Esand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What guides have you read? I'm curious why you think that your family spoiling them is causing their reactivity outside? This forum doesn't really subscribe to the "dominant-submissive" or "pack leader" mindset or training methods.

Right now it seems as if your dogs fear of the outside is being reinforced by your obvious frustration. I would try to carry some really nice, smelly, distracting treats when you go for a walk with them. Try to go at a quieter time and everytime you see them start to get upset back away from the trigger and feed treats and talk to them calmly so they start to associate it with something good instead of something scary and your frustration. It would also make it much easier if you walked them separately so they can get one-on-one attention when they see a trigger.
Artdog likes this.
Doppelganger0337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esand View Post
Take them to the park with some noise canceling headphones and let them bark for hours while you read a book. Rinse and repeat.
I am not a trainer by any means but that sounds a lot like flooding and I would not recommend that. If this is fear based (which it absolutely sounds like it is) it will only make it worse and make them shut down.
Doppelganger0337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM
  #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger0337 View Post
I am not a trainer by any means but that sounds a lot like flooding and I would not recommend that. If this is fear based (which it absolutely sounds like it is) it will only make it worse and make them shut down.
Why do you think its fear based? It sounds like its based in total unfamiliarity with being outside. The OP even said "the 11 year old one since he barely went outside".

I guess you could say that that would be fear of the unknown but in that case flooding or in other words (exposure) is a totally valid option.

Last edited by Esand; 08-02-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Esand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esand View Post
Why do you think its fear based? It sounds like its based in total unfamiliarity with being outside. The OP even said "the 11 year old one since he barely went outside".
That's exactly why. If I've never been outside, and all of a sudden I have to be I'd be pretty freaked out, especially if I had a nose as strong as a dog's. That plus someone getting upset over the barking sounds like a recipe for a scared and reactive dog. Unfamiliar can absolutely equal scary.
Doppelganger0337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:53 AM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esand View Post
I won't comment on the family issue but socialization is something you can do without anyone else help. Take them for more walks for longer time. Take them to the park with some noise canceling headphones and let them bark for hours while you read a book. Rinse and repeat.

If you care about this issue you have the power to do something and while your family doesn't help, they're not hindering it.
I can't do this because my dogs make other dogs come and fight, I always have to grab them and either kick the street dogs or get away. Definitely can't let them bark as they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger0337 View Post
Right now it seems as if your dogs fear of the outside is being reinforced by your obvious frustration. I would try to carry some really nice, smelly, distracting treats when you go for a walk with them. Try to go at a quieter time and everytime you see them start to get upset back away from the trigger and feed treats and talk to them calmly so they start to associate it with something good instead of something scary and your frustration. It would also make it much easier if you walked them separately so they can get one-on-one attention when they see a trigger.
This doesn't work either. They wont even realize I have treats for them when they are outside, they go really nuts, they literally lose their minds and bark and want to run like it was the end of the world, it doesn't matter what I do, I don't exist for them when this happens.
It really doesn't matter at all if I talk to them calmly or screaming, or if I pull from the strap in any way. I am serious, I'm not exaggerating at all, they are impossible to manage, alone or together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Esand View Post
Why do you think its fear based? It sounds like its based in total unfamiliarity with being outside. The OP even said "the 11 year old one since he barely went outside".
He has been outside for an important overall time, since he was a baby I tried to take him outside many times but since he always went nuts, I didnt do it as much as a normal person would do with their dogs. It's not because I don't want to, it's because he always went crazy and it never ever seemed to improve.

Last edited by Ando; 08-02-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I can't do this because my dogs make other dogs come and fight, I always have to grab them and either kick the street dogs or get away. Definitely can't let them bark as they please.
Are there no places you can go without other dogs?
Doppelganger0337 and Besoeker like this.
Esand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Tags
excercise, training, two dogs, yorkshire terrier

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
At the end of my rope with neighbors Gretchenpc General Dog Discussion 16 06-20-2016 12:00 PM
He is obsessed with other dogs! Turtle11 Dog Training and Behavior 8 02-09-2016 09:03 AM
Notes on the Domestication of Dogs GitaBooks Dog Training and Behavior 26 12-14-2015 07:28 PM
Thoughts on Doggy DayCare Shandula General Dog Discussion 17 10-31-2015 10:04 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.