Cesar Millan? - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior

Cesar Millan?

This is a discussion on Cesar Millan? within the Dog Training and Behavior forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Does anyone actually consider those special Cesar Milan skates a training tool? Still it must take nerve to let the dogs pull you - what ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
  #11
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone actually consider those special Cesar Milan skates a training tool? Still it must take nerve to let the dogs pull you - what happens if there is a hole in the road, or a squirrel on the loose?
Doggy Ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
  #12
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
But I can only remember one episode where the collar was used and it was a life and death situation. ( the dog was attacking moving tires on a tractor and almost died once already)

Are you refering the the episode with the black german shepard type dog?
I saw the episode few years back, when I was in USA (I live in Finland now). It wasnīt the shepard type dog. Canīt find it on internet.
Here you can find some episodes, including "Cesar's eCollar" and "JonBee, Hudson & Violet and Buford" that are awful to watch
Saraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM
  #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Ditty View Post
Does anyone actually consider those special Cesar Milan skates a training tool? Still it must take nerve to let the dogs pull you - what happens if there is a hole in the road, or a squirrel on the loose?
Letting a dog pull you, and pretty much be in control of your movement on the road is VERY bad idea, if I want to drain my dog's energy, I let her run next to me on my bike (the bitch can run faster on me when I'm on full speed O_o but most of the time I just cycle in a decent speed, jogging speed, so she'd jog and get tired, while I don't )
UnDeadKnight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
  #14
Senior Member
 
Criosphynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Som'where between Utopia and Insomnia.
Posts: 11,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Ditty View Post
Does anyone actually consider those special Cesar Milan skates a training tool? Still it must take nerve to let the dogs pull you - what happens if there is a hole in the road, or a squirrel on the loose?

its actually not as hard as it looks. In fact I don't find it hard to do at all.

Granted...when he does it with many large dogs its a bad idea... but its just like anything else... you train the dog to do what you need (like slow down, stop, or look at you) just at a higher speed also with a 40lb dog and smaller...its kinda hard for them to pull you all by themselves..



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Criosphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:40 PM
  #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
I love Ceasar.
Most of his cases can be corrected using positive training techniques. But Positive techniques don't make for good TV.
I think Victoria Stilwell shows that positive training techniques do make for good TV.


Also, I agree with most of Caeser's techniques. I think it's important to point out that he has never claimed to be a dog trainer. What he does is much more primal. He teaches people how to understand and communicate with their dogs. I know from first hand experience that several of his techniques work very well. Unfortunately, not from my own use but from my German Shepherd.

You see, we have three small dogs, two Chihuahuas and a min-pin mix, and an old German Shepherd. When Caesar talks about how the Alfa-dog interacts with his pack, it's as if he is describing our Shepherd. For example, if one of the little dogs starts playing too rough and hurts another little dog, Cole, the shepherd, will walk calmly over to the dog and roll it over onto its back using either his mouth or front paw. He does this for just about everything they do that he disagrees with. Back when the little dogs first came to stay with us, they'd try to steal Cole's food so he'd walk over to his bowl, and anytime they'd get too close, he'd growl at them just once, until they backed away. If one ignored his growl, he'd knock them over and pin them to the ground with his mouth (that's the 'bite' Caesar is always mimicking) If Cole is sleeping and the little dogs are being rambunctious too close to him, he'll growl or bark at them once and they will back away.

I am dead serious when I say he has these dogs trained well. They no longer touch his food bowl or bug him when he's trying to sleep. Cole is always very gentle with the dogs and would never hurt any of them. He loves them very much.

Also, all three of the dogs adore him, they follow him everywhere, give him kisses, cuddle with him, and generally admire him 24 hours a day. If he lays down to take a nap, they lay down to take a nap. If he wants to go outside, they want to go outside. If he wants to go for a walk, they are right there behind him. So you see, While caeser's methods are unconventional, he is interacting with dogs in the exact same manner dogs interact with each other. He is speaking their language. And given my own personal experience, it seems that they don't have a problem with it at all.
kossde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM
  #16
Senior Member
 
Criosphynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Som'where between Utopia and Insomnia.
Posts: 11,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kossde View Post
I think Victoria Stilwell shows that positive training techniques do make for good TV.


Also, I agree with most of Caeser's techniques. I think it's important to point out that he has never claimed to be a dog trainer. What he does is much more primal. He teaches people how to understand and communicate with their dogs. I know from first hand experience that several of his techniques work very well. Unfortunately, not from my own use but from my German Shepherd.

You see, we have three small dogs, two Chihuahuas and a min-pin mix, and an old German Shepherd. When Caesar talks about how the Alfa-dog interacts with his pack, it's as if he is describing our Shepherd. For example, if one of the little dogs starts playing too rough and hurts another little dog, Cole, the shepherd, will walk calmly over to the dog and roll it over onto its back using either his mouth or front paw. He does this for just about everything they do that he disagrees with. Back when the little dogs first came to stay with us, they'd try to steal Cole's food so he'd walk over to his bowl, and anytime they'd get too close, he'd growl at them just once, until they backed away. If one ignored his growl, he'd knock them over and pin them to the ground with his mouth (that's the 'bite' Caesar is always mimicking) If Cole is sleeping and the little dogs are being rambunctious too close to him, he'll growl or bark at them once and they will back away.

I am dead serious when I say he has these dogs trained well. They no longer touch his food bowl or bug him when he's trying to sleep. Cole is always very gentle with the dogs and would never hurt any of them. He loves them very much.

Also, all three of the dogs adore him, they follow him everywhere, give him kisses, cuddle with him, and generally admire him 24 hours a day. If he lays down to take a nap, they lay down to take a nap. If he wants to go outside, they want to go outside. If he wants to go for a walk, they are right there behind him. So you see, While caeser's methods are unconventional, he is interacting with dogs in the exact same manner dogs interact with each other. He is speaking their language. And given my own personal experience, it seems that they don't have a problem with it at all.
Id bet money that her show never reaches the popularity that Ceasers does. Which is a shame. Also you have to remember that ceaser is on basic cable and Stillwell is on Animal planet which is a premium channel, which most people do not receive.

Ceasers methods are not unconventional. He useds Negative reinforcement and Positive punishment for the majority of his "techniques" NOTHING he does is new, its just repackaged to look new.

And yes your right, Ceasers methods work, no one argues that adversive methods work, and work quickly, the argument is at what cost to the animal do they work, and why weren't positive methods tried first by a competant trainer?

Most of the dogs that belong to his clients quickly shutdown or are flooded to the point that they behave. If you are unfamiliar with shutdown and flooding I suggest you research it heavily and then watch his shows with the sound off.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Criosphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
  #17
Senior Member
 
pawzaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I personally do not think the way he deals with aggressive dogs is wrong... I do think every person is different and every dog is different so if a dog needs to be shutdown in extreme cases then it needs to be done... I believe some of these dogs could not have been rehabilitated without him... I dont think every dog needs such assertive corrections but some do.
pawzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
  #18
Senior Member
 
Criosphynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Som'where between Utopia and Insomnia.
Posts: 11,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I personally do not think the way he deals with aggressive dogs is wrong... I do think every person is different and every dog is different so if a dog needs to be shutdown in extreme cases then it needs to be done... I believe some of these dogs could not have been rehabilitated without him... I dont think every dog needs such assertive corrections but some do.
I dont' think shutdown means what you think it means

It is also referred to as "learned helplessness" here's an article.

Learned Helplessnessw & burnout

A shutdown dog of normal temprement is basically tortured or abused until it completely gives up.

When a dog is shutdown its ability to learn is also OFF, so no training negative or positive will stick.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by Criosphynx; 06-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Criosphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
  #19
Senior Member
 
rubyred92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeadKnight1 View Post
Letting a dog pull you, and pretty much be in control of your movement on the road is VERY bad idea, if I want to drain my dog's energy, I let her run next to me on my bike (the bitch can run faster on me when I'm on full speed O_o but most of the time I just cycle in a decent speed, jogging speed, so she'd jog and get tired, while I don't )
I wish I could do this. My dog's afraid of my bicycle.
rubyred92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
  #20
Senior Member
 
pawzaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
I dont' think shutdown means what you think it means

It is also referred to as "learned helplessness" here's an article.

Learned Helplessnessw & burnout

A shutdown dog of normal temprement is basically tortured or abused until it completely gives up.

When a dog is shutdown its ability to learn is also OFF, so no training negative or positive will stick.
Oh I took it as putting the dog in its place.... like when he does the "dog nipping" to show dominance I use that on my big boy when he gets over excited and it gets his attention. But honestly whether I do that or just get super happy to get his attention it will never cure him...only gets his focus on me lol. Since hearing your advice on being happy I have decided to do that...less headache.
pawzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cesar Milan - is he really a horrible person? pawzaddict Dog Training and Behavior 168 05-28-2010 12:04 PM
Cesar Milan's Dog Daddy Passed Away... Brittany Dog Memorials 5 04-07-2010 10:52 AM
Cesar Millan/ National Geographic violetgalaxy Dog Training and Behavior 7 07-05-2009 02:27 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.