Originally Posted by Srvan47
... for the person who tried to compare my biting Rescue dog to a fetus inside my body - seriously!!?
How [can] those 2 things... even be compared??
A baby rolling around inside your stomach is in no way comparable to a 70 point biting dog.
You may want to actually think before you respond to someone.
I'm sorry, U've got the wrong end of the stick.
I didn't COMPARE "a 70# biting dog" to a quickened fetus, kicking.
I made an ANALOGY -
between punishing the recently-adopted dog
, who doesn't understand that he's done anything wrong, & punishing the fetus
- who is equally innocent of deliberate wrongdoing, & is equally uncomprehending of aversive feedback.
The dog doesn't comprehend what he's done wrong; to boot, he arrived under a tremendous amount of stress, as witness losing bladder-control when yer hubby walked toward him with any object in his hand/s.
Consequences that include angry or loud voices, pinning him, clamping his mouth shut, & / or shocks from collar-electrodes, won't reduce his stress, reassure or calm him, or help him to learn what U DO want
, in place of the current behavior.
So my suggestions, in order of execution, are:
- make the unwanted behavior unlikely or impossible [Mgmt].
- try to reduce his stress to a minimum, & proactively DS/CC any triggers.
- teach him what behaviors U want in any given setting or circumstances.
- reward the desired behaviors.