Is it a bad habit to let my dog lead on walks? - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior

Is it a bad habit to let my dog lead on walks?

This is a discussion on Is it a bad habit to let my dog lead on walks? within the Dog Training and Behavior forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Originally Posted by Lorib64 We are working on sitting [during] walks. He's fine at home, but gets distracted when we are out. I want him ...

User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 AM
  #11
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston metro-area, USA
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question how many times will he SIT at home on 1 cue, out of 5 tries? [4 = 80%]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorib64 View Post

We are working on sitting [during] walks. He's fine at home, but gets distracted when we are out. I want him to sit while we wait to cross streets.
.

that's an excellent goal, but how good is his sit on cue at home, w/o distractions?
Until at home "sit" gets at least 80% compliance on a 1st cue, don't expect better than 50/50 when he's away from home, & so many things compete for his attn.
That doesn't mean don't practice! - just don't be horribly discouraged if "sit" isn't reliable away from home. Keeping working on SIT anywhere, everywhere, & make the surfaces, contexts, & times of day / evening as different as possible.
Don't forget to mark & reward compliance, too.

- terry

.
Lorib64 likes this.
leashedForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM
  #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not going to say yes but will give you two things to think of.

1) Will anyone else walk him that is less capable then you? Maybe a future kid or elderly relative?

2) Will you be able to handle him on snow? I was just taking my friend's dog on a jog and got a face full of snow when I hit a spot of ice that he didn't.
Lorib64 likes this.
keddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:46 PM
  #13
Senior Member
 
Lorib64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keddre View Post
I'm not going to say yes but will give you two things to think of.

1) Will anyone else walk him that is less capable then you? Maybe a future kid or elderly relative?

2) Will you be able to handle him on snow? I was just taking my friend's dog on a jog and got a face full of snow when I hit a spot of ice that he didn't.
My family walk him with me. Son and husband hold him closer. My daughter would let him wander everywhere if i was not there to tell her to keep him away from some things. But, she can control him if i tell her not to let him go somewhere. He pulls, but not hard, he is only 20 lbs.

Sorry about your fall. It does not snow here. We have been out in wind and rain. He does not go as fast in poor weather.

Thank you for asking
keddre likes this.
Lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 PM
  #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorib64 View Post
My family walk him with me. Son and husband hold him closer. My daughter would let him wander everywhere if i was not there to tell her to keep him away from some things. But, she can control him if i tell her not to let him go somewhere. He pulls, but not hard, he is only 20 lbs.

Sorry about your fall. It does not snow here. We have been out in wind and rain. He does not go as fast in poor weather.

Thank you for asking
Sounds good
keddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:02 PM
  #15
Senior Member
 
Lorib64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leashedForLife View Post
.

that's an excellent goal, but how good is his sit on cue at home, w/o distractions?
Until at home "sit" gets at least 80% compliance on a 1st cue, don't expect better than 50/50 when he's away from home, & so many things compete for his attn.
That doesn't mean don't practice! - just don't be horribly discouraged if "sit" isn't reliable away from home. Keeping working on SIT anywhere, everywhere, & make the surfaces, contexts, & times of day / evening as different as possible.
Don't forget to mark & reward compliance, too.

- terry


.
Without distractions probably 80%. out it is about 20% we will keep practicing. Thanks.
leashedForLife likes this.
Lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog won't poop on a lead Aqualoon Housetraining 4 03-03-2017 08:44 PM
Blind dog flinching on walks pompower Dog Health 3 06-29-2016 11:41 PM
Sudden bad behavior on walks? Willoughby Dog Training and Behavior 7 02-25-2016 09:41 PM
Is it possible to train a sight hound to be off lead... Arwen Dog Training and Behavior 37 01-05-2016 01:25 PM
How to stop dropping dog lead?! RyRyMoore Dog Training and Behavior 1 11-06-2015 04:28 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.