Not sure what recovery plan is from vet, and obviously, take that into account first. Then...
Here's a good link for crate training games: Great Crate Games - Better Pets and Gardens
perseverance, and then some more perseverance.
Here are some time lengthy activities for inside a crate ive used successfully.
1. Marrow bone sections
2. Meat/veg stock, in a plastic water bottle, frozen over night, stab with fork, and toss that into crate.
3. Dog food puzzle toys: kong etc
4. soft fake fur blanket, that's all pluffy and luxurious
5. Buy a 2nd hand baby portable cot, and flip it upside down, as alternative crate or up right way, for small play pen.
6. Telephone book to destroy
7. Crate in garden, with grass poking through, crate on carpet, crate on tiles. change the texture of what dog feels on feet.
8. If you have a screamer: crate at bottom of garden!
9. Clicker train go in crate, come out crate, lay down in crate, stand in crate, spin in crate, clicker train anything that includes crate: go around, clockwise/anticlockwise. etc
let us know how its working out. Speedy recovery for your dog!