Bean a Apso/Jack
He is 5.
Never had pain issues Vet:
- Did tests, said he has IVDD.
- Gabapentin 100mg - Every 12 hours
- Metacam 1.5mg/mL per ML - Give one syringe (0.8ml) by mouth every 24 hours give with food. (Four syringes)
- No jumping no stairs for a month. Timeline: Sept 5
- Came home, bean was uncomfortable and looks like something on his leg was bothering him. Everytime I touched his hip area he would yelp. Sept 7
- Bean was back to himself running around, did not take him to the vet as he had a vet appointment on Sept 11. Throughout the week he resume activity, did his walks and hikes. Sep 21
- I was grabbing him and dragging him to me to snuggle up to watch Television. Bean Yelp and did not move for the remaining of the night till the next morning. Sep 22
- He was laying down with pain and could not get back. As soon as my parents rushed over he was so happy and acted normal. Bean was running around the house to his normal self all day with my family. Sep 24
- Came home from the beach and he was not moving. This must of been the worse I seen him. After two hours he started to shiver in pain and quickly went to the emergency vet. The emergency vet is near the dog park and he decided to walk perfectly fine towards the dog park. He went for a short walk then just sat down (Probably because he was in pain). The vet was a 4 hour wait so I took him home as the shivering stopped. Sep 25
- He did not move at all and slept where I dropped him off the previous night. He could not stand. I picked him up and brought him outside to pee but his back legs just trembled.
20 minutes later, I was setting up my vehicle to take to his vet. As soon as he saw the car blanket, he ran to my car and excited to get in. No issues just normal self but will not jump kinda does the I about to jump but I barely can. He is also overweight.
Since Sept 25, he has been himself. The doctor did a lot of tests and said he has IVDD and prescribed me all this medicine. He is taking meds great, eating, drinking, etc. I confined him to my bedroom and removed my bed frame and just put the mattress on the floor since yesterday. He can't be in a crate as he is half jack and is crazy hyper. Concerns
- If he does have IVDD, how can I continue to minimize the illness. I am now preparing the house so that he has to not climb or jump on things.
- I don't understand how he snaps out of this so quickly when his activities take place or people come visit him. Video:
This clip was taken after a full day of crying, yelping, shivering, from the 24-25 of September. After he saw his blanket, went to the vet and came home, he started to play with his food. https://streamable.com/f8xko