08-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Join Date: Feb 2015
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have seen several dogs die of bee stings, and it is certainly not that unusual. Anaphylaxis is a big killer of dogs and requires immediate attention... Benadryl is unlikely to stop an anaphylactic reaction, but an Epipen, mentioned already above, is not a bad suggestion, and can sometimes mean the difference between life and death for some dogs ultra sensitive to insect bites/stings. If your dog gets stung again, watch the gum color- if turning pale to white, that is an emergency and can lead to serious if not fatal consequences if not dealt with immediately. I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of dogs stung by bees and about 5% develop anaphylaxis.. .the rest are either painful, or swell up a lot, or get hives. Rarely see anaphylactic reactions in those dogs that have one of the other above reactions (which are more 'appropriate' reactions to a bee sting). These dogs, however, are rarely lethargic or weak.
Now that your pet has had one bad reaction, the next could be worse... or less severe... hard to predict. Hope it will never happen, but if it does, it will let you know more predictably, the reaction to be expected for all future stings - ie. if bad, probably all stings will be bad... if hardly noticeable, most future stings will not be so bad, either.