Rabies in dogs

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Rabies in dogs

This is a discussion on Rabies in dogs within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; is 10 day observation required everywhere? my 7 month old puppy bit and caused laceration in my 7 year old brother. doctors chose not to ...

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 04:03 AM
  #1
Senior Member
 
Dahliamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rabies in dogs

is 10 day observation required everywhere? my 7 month old puppy bit and caused laceration in my 7 year old brother. doctors chose not to close the wound and gave my brother anti-rabies shot. they also told us that nothing would have happened to my brother as he had been given a shot only 2 hours after being bitten and he has to get another 2 or 3 shots over next 10 days. so the worrying about my brother part is over. now i have my dog to worry about. why would she have rabies? she has been vaccinated at 4 month old. has not had any contact with a rabid animal as far as i know. I mean had she been bitten wouldn't i have seen some unexplained wound? I've inspected every inch of my dogs body and she has no wounds. however she has been more aggressive in last month. she has always been a biter. she just tries to jump on everyone lately. she also has eye discharge. but again she has had eye discharge before. the day she bit my brother and when we saw our vet he has told me that i wouldn't be able to give her any medication for the next 10 days. so I can't give her drops or anything for her irritated eyes. should i be scared? is there any way she can have rabies?
Dahliamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's no reason to think that your dog might have rabies. If your brother's doctor had seen documentation of the dog's vaccination, then he might have elected not to proceed with the inoculation. But he was just being cautious and following CDC guidelines.

But you do need to get your dog into a training program to address the jumping and grabbing behavior. If he were to bite someone outside your family, you might have a visit from animal control, and you might have to get a lawyer.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/index.html

Last edited by JohnR; 11-03-2017 at 07:12 AM.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 AM
  #3
Senior Member
 
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vaccinations aren't ever guaranteed to prevent. It can still happen. Here where I live, vaccinated or not there is still a ten day quarantine at a vet after a bite. I'm not sure about the people part though.
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Moonstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's very standard protocol (at least in the US, where I assume you also are) to do a 10 day observation period on a dog who has bitten and broken skin. I believe depending on your municipality, the rules differ on exactly what that means. It usually means limiting contact with the outside world, and in some places is so strict its akin to doggy house-arrest.

Did you tell the doctor(s) who treated your brother that the dog was up to date on her rabies vaccine? I would assume they'd be less likely to give a rabies series to a child if the animal was known to be up to date on its vaccine, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they elected to give the series anyways just as a precaution.

Don't worry that your dog has rabies- that is very unlikely.

I would worry that you 7 month old puppy has bitten and broken skin, though. In terms of the timeline of her aggression, it's not surprising she hasn't committed to the point of biting in the past. 7 months is young, just entering the beginnings of adolescence, and not an unusual age of onset for aggression problems. Given the young age of onset, however, and the fact that she is already biting and breaking skin, I would expect this problem to worsen or at least continue over time if not addressed.

What was the actual incidence that led to the bite?

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the assistance of a trainer with behavioral modificiation experience, and start working on this issue now before it possibly gets worse and/or she bites again.
Rain likes this.
Moonstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Puppies at least most I know of, go through phases, usually while they are teething, and will bite and chew often breaking skin. Not sure what the particulars were, that made the bite to your brother cause suspicion that your puppy might be rabid. I would venture to say, that it is very rare for an inoculated dog to contract rabies. I would stop just short of saying impossible, but IMO very close.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Dahliamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
There's no reason to think that your dog might have rabies. If your brother's doctor had seen documentation of the dog's vaccination, then he might have elected not to proceed with the inoculation. But he was just being cautious and following CDC guidelines.

But you do need to get your dog into a training program to address the jumping and grabbing behavior. If he were to bite someone outside your family, you might have a visit from animal control, and you might have to get a lawyer.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/index.html
Thank you for your reply. She has a trainer. Don't know how much success we are having but i'm trying to stay hopeful. The fear that she might cause harm to anyone outside family has made me choose times for her walks very carefully. We only go out when it's really early and really late so we can avoid most people. And when the people outside are the people she likes. Thanks again.
Dahliamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 PM
  #7
Senior Member
 
Dahliamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
Vaccinations aren't ever guaranteed to prevent. It can still happen. Here where I live, vaccinated or not there is still a ten day quarantine at a vet after a bite. I'm not sure about the people part though.
That's what scares me out of my mind. It can still happen. She doesn't have to stay at a vet. She's with me at home. They just told me to keep an eye on her and in case anything seems off during this 10 days i have to bring her in. Once again she's showing no signs of rabies. Still can't stop freaking out.
Dahliamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:33 PM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Dahliamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstream View Post
It's very standard protocol (at least in the US, where I assume you also are) to do a 10 day observation period on a dog who has bitten and broken skin. I believe depending on your municipality, the rules differ on exactly what that means. It usually means limiting contact with the outside world, and in some places is so strict its akin to doggy house-arrest.

Did you tell the doctor(s) who treated your brother that the dog was up to date on her rabies vaccine? I would assume they'd be less likely to give a rabies series to a child if the animal was known to be up to date on its vaccine, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they elected to give the series anyways just as a precaution.

Don't worry that your dog has rabies- that is very unlikely.

I would worry that you 7 month old puppy has bitten and broken skin, though. In terms of the timeline of her aggression, it's not surprising she hasn't committed to the point of biting in the past. 7 months is young, just entering the beginnings of adolescence, and not an unusual age of onset for aggression problems. Given the young age of onset, however, and the fact that she is already biting and breaking skin, I would expect this problem to worsen or at least continue over time if not addressed.

What was the actual incidence that led to the bite?

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the assistance of a trainer with behavioral modificiation experience, and start working on this issue now before it possibly gets worse and/or she bites again.
Thank you for taking time to answer me. I live in Georgia, country not state. The protocol is watching the dog. If s/he doesn't die within 10 days of biting someone that dog is considered free of rabies. And the person bitten by the dog won't have to get additional two shots. It's not like she just started biting. She has always been like this. I have failed to teach her bite inhibition and now i have to deal with her overmouthiness. my pup bit my brother during play time. The leaves drove her nuts and the child chose a horrible time to run past a riled up dog. Im not blaming either. What im saying is that this was not an act of aggression. Still bad though.
Dahliamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahliamom View Post
That's what scares me out of my mind. It can still happen. She doesn't have to stay at a vet. She's with me at home. They just told me to keep an eye on her and in case anything seems off during this 10 days i have to bring her in. Once again she's showing no signs of rabies. Still can't stop freaking out.
Why don't you get a rabies titer done? That will show immunity, and hopefully ease your mind. Like others have said, it's unlikely that she has rabies.
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:57 AM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Dahliamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Puppies at least most I know of, go through phases, usually while they are teething, and will bite and chew often breaking skin. Not sure what the particulars were, that made the bite to your brother cause suspicion that your puppy might be rabid. I would venture to say, that it is very rare for an inoculated dog to contract rabies. I would stop just short of saying impossible, but IMO very close.
She is through the teething period. It's just she doesn't really understand that her teeth don't belong on human skin. I have no idea why they chose to give my brother shots. They said that there have been few cases where the dog had been inoculated but still got infected with rabies. So they didn't take any chances. Thank you for your time.
Dahliamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am. Pit Bull Terriers (info post) SpicyBulldog General Dog Discussion 28 10-27-2017 11:55 AM
Alaskan Malamute 8 month old aggression towards my 10 year old son Malamunky Dog Training and Behavior 9 08-06-2017 08:51 PM
My best friend bit another dog on our hike (long) zkdog40 Dog Training and Behavior 3 11-04-2016 05:30 PM
Relocating with dogs desmetval Dog Health 1 04-29-2016 07:36 PM
Our doodle dogs GitaBooks General Dog Discussion 27 11-30-2015 07:56 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.