Puppy might've swallowed piece of toy...

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Puppy might've swallowed piece of toy...

This is a discussion on Puppy might've swallowed piece of toy... within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; So this morning I gave my pup her kong with some peanut butter and noticed at some point that she was chewing as if she ...

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PoppyKenna
  • 1 Post By Rain

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Puppy might've swallowed piece of toy...

So this morning I gave my pup her kong with some peanut butter and noticed at some point that she was chewing as if she had something small in her mouth. Before I could jump to reach her she swallowed. When I picked up the kong I noticed there was a piece missing. I don't know if it was torn off before and I didn't notice (the chunk was small) or if she actually chewed it off and swallowed it, SO off to the vet we went.

The vet made her drink some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting but when she barfed up all her stomach contents there was no blue kong bits to be found...Now here's my dilemma. If I'm pretty sure she swallowed it but there was nothing in her vomit, is there any way it could have just stayed inside her while the rest of her stomach contents stayed? The vet says that's really unlikely but to monitor her behavior anyway. I'm really nervous so I thought I'd finally stop lurking and post here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Have any of you had a dog swallow an object they weren't able to immediately throw up with assistance? I'm trying to keep calm but I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and I feel so guilty for not being more aware of her toys and her chewing.
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:37 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
PoppyKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,877
Mentioned: 715 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly, if the piece was small and she DID swallow it it'll probably pass on its own soon enough.

My dogs have eaten some odd things from time to time, accidents happen. It's most concerning if it's very large, sharp, or string like. Most other things will eventually come out the other end, but it's better to be safe than sorry!
Lambchop likes this.
PoppyKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unless the piece was a really large one, I think it'll pass through her just fine, or she may decide to throw it up in a few days. I've had my dog Zody do both. He's managed to swallow the last 1/2 inch of a bully stick and a few days later threw it up in the wee hours of the morning. Before I realized a chow's hoof was shattering he swallowed a few large pieces of it and, as with the bully stick, he threw them up a few days later. Just a week ago he found and swallowed a chicken bone before I could stop him, 3 days later it finally came out the other end.

With all of them I just kept a really good eye on him for 3 to 4 days. If he had started acting sick or in pain, throwing up with nothing coming up, lost his appetite, or had blood in his stool, I would have had him at the vet whatever time it was.
Lambchop likes this.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM
  #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My puppy swallows parts of toys all the time. She just poops them out later. I would never induce vomiting unless it was something dangerous like something sharp or floss. I definitely don't encourage the behavior, but it's not something to freak out over. If your puppy is acting normal and pooping normally, you should be fine.
lunabc0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:25 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabc0524 View Post
My puppy swallows parts of toys all the time. She just poops them out later. I would never induce vomiting unless it was something dangerous like something sharp or floss. I definitely don't encourage the behavior, but it's not something to freak out over. If your puppy is acting normal and pooping normally, you should be fine.

For sharp objects you should not induce vomiting it can actually do damage as it is thrown up. If it's something like floss it may depend on how long it's been since it was swallowed, but throwing it up could be dangerous if it's started to empty out of the stomach.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 AM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We have a Sheltie which when he was a puppy, he ingested some rope from a tug toy over time that eventually became a ball of rope ( size of ping pong ball) in his stomach. There were signs of an ongoing issue such as vomiting at first, diarrhea, then regurgitation when the "ball" started to descend into his intestine. Over that time, we tried treating him for the vomiting and diarrhea not realizing what the real issue was. When he began the regurgitation, we knew it was more serious and took him to a vet hospital which performed a serious of palpitations, x-rays and MRI's eventually leading to surgery to remove the object.
A.) Be aware of what your dog is playing with as a toy and assess if he/she is a hard chewer.
B.) Know you dogs daily routine of potty breaks, eating and level of activity. Our dog was letting us know he had a problem with signs of sluggishness, slower eating than normal and diarrhea....and eventually the regurgitation. Don't ignore these changes.
C.) Carry pet health insurance. I use Pet Plan which is reasonably priced and focuses on accidents, illness, cancer and injuries. I found wellness add-ons are not worth the extra premium. The entire symptoms and eventually surgery was over $8k which we were responsible for 10% of the total. Having pet insurance makes medical decisions much easier.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
object, puppy, sick, vomit



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.