Possible Emergency... Possible poisoning.

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Possible Emergency... Possible poisoning.

This is a discussion on Possible Emergency... Possible poisoning. within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; I sprayed Bifen I/t Insecticide in my bathroom to kill roaches, I took a shower and forgot to shut the bathroom door back bella came ...

User Tag List

Like Tree17Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 PM
  #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible Emergency... Possible poisoning.

I sprayed Bifen I/t Insecticide in my bathroom to kill roaches, I took a shower and forgot to shut the bathroom door back bella came out licking her lips, I don't know if she drunk any poison, Drunk water that dripped off of me, or drunk out of the toilet (it had lysol toilet bowl cleaner in it) She has not started acting sick yet, it just happened. I can't get her to the vet they change 120$ just to show up not including any treatment and if you can't afford the emergency fee they won't see you and I don't have 120$ due to recent school charges and my medical bills recently. I am freaking out not sure what I could do. I haven't induced vomiting because I heard chemicals can burn the esophagus coming back up and make things worse, I have no idea if she even got into the poison or the toilet (which also had toilet bowl cleaner) how long would it take her to get sick if she did get into something
Bryansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:22 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
MrsCunningham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You will usually see symptoms within half an hour of ingestion. How long before your shower did you spray? she was in the bathroom while you were in the shower?
MrsCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 PM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I sprayed about 2 hours ago but it takes a long time to dry, No she was not in the bathroom with me while my shower she was with my mom in the living room I came out of the room forgetting to shut the door behind me
Bryansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
MrsCunningham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How does she seem now?
Is It possible she was licking the water from the shower? My dogs always go in after a shower and drink any water on the bottom of the shower floor.
TruckersMom likes this.
MrsCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 PM
  #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not from the shower itself because it's a bathtub with a shower head she can't get in the tub but it is possible she licked it off the floor she seems okay just sleeping now
Bryansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
MrsCunningham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well it looks like you may have avoided it. If Bella begins to froth at the mouth, seems really lethargic, and is unresponsive, the get her to a vet, find a way to get an appointment.
MrsCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 PM
  #7
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
TiggerBounce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,884
Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can call the animal poison control hotline.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

There may be a consultation fee, but it is cheaper than the emergency vet. You can tell them the chemicals she may have gotten into and they can advise whether to induce vomiting, take her in ASAP, whether you can wait and instead just get some charcoal or something from the vet in the AM etc. They can tell you what symptoms to look for with that specific toxin. Sometimes dogs get sick. Sometimes they can go into kidney failure. Sometimes they get neurological symptoms. The downside is that if they tell you that you have to get your dog in NOW, you end up paying the emergency fee AND the consultation fee. But hopefully that won't be necessary.

If you can call your e-vet, they also might be able to give you some info about toxicity and what signs to look for. Just remember that they will generally always tell you to come in because it's a liability if they don't. It's not that they're after money or don't want to help. It's more that they're worried about giving incorrect advise when they are unable to see and assess the dog, and neither of you have any way of knowing how much the dog actually ingested.

I generally discourage the use of poisons in the house and yard when pets are involved except when you hire a professional exterminator. Things like this are just not the risk IMO. There are other ways to control pests. And if an infestation is very bad, a professional is pretty much the only option anyway!
KayWilson and TruckersMom like this.

Last edited by TiggerBounce; 12-09-2015 at 11:32 PM.
TiggerBounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 PM
  #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't afford the consultation fee either we called for another dog that got into rat poison they wanted 70 and since we didn't have it they hung up we managed to borrow a care credit card and got her to the vet i have no money at all in my bank account
Bryansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM
  #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
She is still fine this morning so I guess she did not get into it
Bryansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM
  #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is an excellent book out called "The Hundred Year Lie" about chemicals and their effects on us. Probably in your library.
A lot of vets are ripoffs and drug pushers, just like the medical mafia is with humans.
Our dog once ate rat poison and we induced vomiting with peroxide, chopped meat and dry food mixed together.
Cut back on those chemicals and use the internet to search for alternatives. They're out there.
Gnostic Dog and Arwen like this.
Rife is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Appeal: Emergency help needed for dog owner in Texas Cinnamon85 General Dog Discussion 0 11-06-2015 07:01 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.