Possible cancer, what to do?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Possible cancer, what to do?

This is a discussion on Possible cancer, what to do? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; This is a very long post. My apologies. This is actually the main reason I joined the forum. Brief little backstory here: I'm part of ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 12:11 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Mangoesandbananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible cancer, what to do?

This is a very long post. My apologies.
This is actually the main reason I joined the forum.

Brief little backstory here: I'm part of a rodent forum and the forum helped me a lot in teaching me what adequate care for my pet is and opening my eyes to all the depth there is to it. After certain complications with my dog, I decided it was time to join a dog forum. So far from my perusing, this place seems fantastic with a lively community. I'm eager to learn and adapt.

Right. On to the main event:

She's a little old gal. We think around 10-12-ish, Chihuahua/terrier mix.

Earlier this month, around the ninth, IIRC, my dog went into surgery to get two teeth removed and a cleaning. Prior to this, we had noticed a small lump growing between her eyes. We were told more than likely the tooth had caused an abscess. She had a bloody nose with a fair amount if mucus coming out. Again- this was credited to a one particular tooth that didn't come in right.

On the day of the surgery, I received a call from the surgeon. She was positive there was a tumor in the nasal cavity. They went ahead and did x-rays on her and another bout of blood work. Sure enough, there was a mass. It wasn't an abscess. She gave us three different numbers for specialists and that was that. We were referred from one place to another. Over and over and over again. Everyone is certain it's cancer. It was a back and forth and re-routing. I would call one referral only for them to bombard me with questions I had no answers to, so it was me calling the surgeon who originally found the tumor back. Then she would call this other place. Then someone wanted to do this. But the people at the other place didn't agree. It was a big mess. In the end they all agreed the first step was to get a CT scan. As it turns out, there is only one place that does it. We managed to get a consultation with the internal medicine department for the 13th of November. They won't even be doing the scan the 13th, that's just where we go and meet the team. They'll do blood work again and take an up-dated x-rays along with other tests while we fill out forms.

Now the issue is. I don't know what to do. I feel that the 13th is ages way. The tumor has doubled in size since it was first found. Her whole face is just swollen and it's deforming her. Her nosebleeds keep coming. They're intermittent. She has gunky discharge from her eyes. She has a weird breathing. She was lethargic. Didn't eat. Didn't even feel like going on walks. I took her back to her original doctor and he simply prescribed more meds. She has been a little more up and at 'em. But I feel completely useless. I want to help her but I don't know how. I've become that annoying person who calls in every other day. I just want to know if there's anything, anything at all that you recommend I do for her.
Mangoesandbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:18 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try consulting for a medicine that might at least the pain or at least ease your dog and probably wait till the 13th, this is just an opinion I am not knowledgeable in this kind of things but just in case try contacting other places and see if that they do CT scans even if it's far from your area.
adamsNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:22 AM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston metro-area, USA
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Yikes.



can U ask the GP vet to intercede? -
IMO - & that's all it is, opinion - the tumor doubling in size in 2-weeks' time means this is fairly urgent; she needs the scan done ASAP, & "filling out forms" on Nov-13th is fiddling while Rome burns.

Is there a vet-college nearby, or at least in the same state, or a neighboring state [presuming U are in the U-S]?
a vet-college within a university might take her on much sooner, as a teaching opp & an urgent case.

There are only some 22 vet-med colleges in the entire U-S; many states have no veterinary college, but hopefully either Ur own vet can speed things up, or there's a nearby DVM-program.
Good luck - this sounds like an aggressive tumor.
- terry

leashedForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Goldens get cancer? PawsandClaws General Dog Discussion 8 05-29-2017 03:15 PM
Breeding - does it reduce cancer risk? dudecookie Dog Health 15 02-26-2016 07:57 PM
Save my dog from cancer :~( SweetHalle Dog Health 47 12-19-2015 03:43 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.