Please help! Why does my yorkie puppy look so scraggly?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Please help! Why does my yorkie puppy look so scraggly?

This is a discussion on Please help! Why does my yorkie puppy look so scraggly? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello everyone, this is my first post and I would like some advice. My parents' maltese and yorkie had kids (they are neutered now) and ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help! Why does my yorkie puppy look so scraggly?

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I would like some advice. My parents' maltese and yorkie had kids (they are neutered now) and my mom gave them all away and gave me this little girl.

I love my Emily to bits but I'm kinda concerned because she looks nothing like her brothers, who are thick coated and fur balls. But Emily looks super scraggly, almost like she is halfway between short hair chihuahua and Yorkie.

50% of her body is covered by little long hairs that seem to be neither thick enough to make up a coat yet too long to consider her short haired.

I was wondering if this is normal?she looks like such a mess and I feel so sorry for her

At first I was really concerned that she might be yorkie /chi but my parents say both dogs were kept in doors and none of their friends dogs are male. Does anyone have experience with this? Emily is 3 months old.

Photos:
Attached Images
  
Perfume_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is completely normal. She's a mixed breed, which means there is no telling which way the genes will come out, and siblings can all look different from each other, and puppy coats are completely different from adult coats. I'm betting that she might change color as her adult coat comes in and she'll probably look more like her mom in coloring.

She's adorable by the way!
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
That is completely normal. She's a mixed breed, which means there is no telling which way the genes will come out, and siblings can all look different from each other, and puppy coats are completely different from adult coats. I'm betting that she might change color as her adult coat comes in and she'll probably look more like her mom in coloring.

She's adorable by the way!



Thank you, I've never had a puppy before and I was a little afraid that she's sick or something. Both her parents have longer hair... i don't know why shes such a shorty =[
Perfume_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-10-2018, 05:39 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfume_Gal View Post
Thank you, I've never had a puppy before and I was a little afraid that she's sick or something. Both her parents have longer hair... i don't know why shes such a shorty =[

You're welcome! The hair will grow in. My friend's got a 9 week old longhaired Dachshund puppy, and it had short hair when they got it except for some longer hair here and there. Now the puppy is 6 months old and his coat is starting to change, he is beginning to get his adult coat in and his fur is all sorts of lengths LOL. He looks like an adorable mess!

Take a look at these video's the first is of 8 week old Maltese puppies. See how fluffy they are? The Maltese dad is where the brothers got their coat. Second video is of 8 week old Yorkie puppies. Notice how different and how much shorter their coats are? They are not fluffy like the Maltese puppies. You're girl seems to take more after her Yorkie mother, but because she's mixed she does not look exactly like a yorkie puppy would. Her coat will grow in though, and given her mix she'll have a long coat unless you keep her clipped


Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 AM
  #5
Senior Member
 
diamondemuzik@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brush her with a soft brush gently & it will stimulate the hair follicles encouraging hair growth. You also may want to check your dogs got all the essential diet requirements that creates a good strong coat. There is some things she may need little extra treats of & check she's having the same good quality biscuits the other ones are having. Have they had haircuts? Trimming can make the hair grow quicker, but you also could risk it becoming courser, so personally I wouldnt trim it unless it got too long so it stays nice & soft. Essential oils & a natural dog shampoo is good like oatmeal, & so is massaging.
diamondemuzik@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 AM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Brush her with a soft brush gently & it will stimulate the hair follicles encouraging hair growth. You also may want to check your dogs got all the essential diet requirements that creates a good strong coat. There is some things she may need little extra treats of & check she's having the same good quality biscuits the other ones are having. Have they had haircuts? Trimming can make the hair grow quicker, but you also could risk it becoming courser, so personally I wouldnt trim it unless it got too long so it stays nice & soft. Essential oils & a natural dog shampoo is good like oatmeal, & so is massaging.

The puppy is 12 weeks old, at that age it has a puppy coat which it will lose as it gets older. It should not need a trim, but if the OP is going to use a groomer now is the time to start getting her used to one. It's also the time to start getting her used to being brushed and the noise of the grooming equipment.

The two breeds in the mix have what's known as hair coats, meaning that, unlike a double coat for example a rough coated Collie, it will keep growing right down to the floor and must be trimmed. Trimming or putting them in short clips, will not effect the quality of the coat. It's the double coated breeds that should not be clipped unless absolutely necessary because doing so can ruin the coat.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 AM
  #7
Senior Member
 
diamondemuzik@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just to clarify I didnt say trimming it will ruin it, if thats what you're implying. Once the puppy coats trimmed off it wont be as soft- so better to wait.
diamondemuzik@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM
  #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
The puppy is 12 weeks old, at that age it has a puppy coat which it will lose as it gets older. It should not need a trim, but if the OP is going to use a groomer now is the time to start getting her used to one. It's also the time to start getting her used to being brushed and the noise of the grooming equipment.

The two breeds in the mix have what's known as hair coats, meaning that, unlike a double coat for example a rough coated Collie, it will keep growing right down to the floor and must be trimmed. Trimming or putting them in short clips, will not effect the quality of the coat. It's the double coated breeds that should not be clipped unless absolutely necessary because doing so can ruin the coat.

Do dogs with hair instead of fur lose their puppy coats? I thought maltese/yorkies dont shed..and the hair they have now will be what they have for life. I'm sorry if my comment is ignorant, I have owned a dog before but never a puppy.
Perfume_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfume_Gal View Post
Do dogs with hair instead of fur lose their puppy coats? I thought maltese/yorkies dont shed..and the hair they have now will be what they have for life. I'm sorry if my comment is ignorant, I have owned a dog before but never a puppy.
You're comments are not ignorant at all

All dogs lose their fur, but those with a hair coat, rather then regular fur, lose their hair like humans do. We don't walk around losing handfuls of hair during shedding season like a Husky does, we loose so many hairs per day, which is what Maltese and Yorkies do. When you brush them you'll find some hair in the brush, or you might find some on the bed, but your furniture won't get coated with hair, and you won't pet her and get a handful of hair off like I can with my Chi x Dach during shedding season.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.