02-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Originally Posted by TiggerBounce
It's unusual for an allergic reaction to develop more than 24 hours after ingesting the allergen. If he's been on prozac for over a week and has been fine, then I'd hesitate to blame that. But I'd still take him off everything for now.
Also strange that the vet would recommend a medication and give a dosage and instructions without actually seeing the dog first. The clinic where I worked would not do that because it's a liability....The vet is basically treating a condition that he hasn't properly diagnosed.
Hopefully the vet visit you had today got some answers and solutions.
Actually delayed reactions like this are VERY common with allergens-it's why some of mine were so difficult to pinpoint when I was first figuring it out. I'd drink an herbal tea with a chamomile filler and it'd be hours before I started puking. My dust allergies I only reacted to the day or day and a half after until they got more severe and I could figure out the places that were causing the reactions. It's also particularly common with weird allergic reactions-mine was a chronic cough, which is not what you think of when you think of a reaction. Makes things really hard to diagnose without an actual allergist around. The more you know! lol. I had no idea the delay could be that long either until after I was diagnosed-2 years later.
I hope you get it figured out with your vet-I think the allergist appointment is a great idea. Maybe keep him in a 'clean room' until you get it figured out, with just a bed that was recently washed and the like? It may or may not help since you'll be trekking things in but reduction of allergens does help even if they aren't completely eliminated, assuming its not the medication. It might help you pinpoint what the reaction is to, at any rate. *hugs*