Need some advice with a difficult turning point in the health of my dog who was a constant companion to both me and my son...seeing him through most of his childhood.
My 14yo beagle started bleeding profusely from the ear about a month ago. A trip to the ER stopped the blood with epinepherin. The vet said it was a growth occluding the ear canal and sent us home with synotic ear drops. No biopsy performed or requested.
I have consistently cleaned the area around the ear flap on a daily basis several times a day with warm water. There is daily foul-smelling exudate with blood. Last weekend it seemed to be worse (especially the smell- anaerobes possibly?) and he wouldn't let me clean it. So, I took him into the vet yesterday and they said that they could surgically remove what they could of the growth for $800-$1000. With culture/sensitivity and the visit yesterday add another $200.
I have until 5pm today to make a final decision about the surgery, but I am worried that this won't buy my guy much more time and risk facing the decision for euthanasia right there on the operating table if the growth is inoperable or too extensive.
He still takes evening walks and eats well. Urinates & defecates without a problem, but his energy is very low & requires lift into the car & steps.
Guess I'm thinking I don't want to be one of those owners that is hanging on desperately trying to avert the inevitable outcome.
If he was a few years younger there would be no question, but 14 yrs lifespan for a beagle --seems like operation or no operation the inevitable is right around the corner. thoughts?