OK to give Bonine/meclizine for likely geriatic vestibular disorder?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

OK to give Bonine/meclizine for likely geriatic vestibular disorder?

This is a discussion on OK to give Bonine/meclizine for likely geriatic vestibular disorder? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Greetings all! My 14 yr old female aussie suddenly got very woozy last night, has had trouble walking with confidence, and has thrown up thrice ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK to give Bonine/meclizine for likely geriatic vestibular disorder?

Greetings all!

My 14 yr old female aussie suddenly got very woozy last night, has had trouble walking with confidence, and has thrown up thrice last night and this morning. My guess is that this is geriatric vestibular disorder. She did something like this...vertigo-like symptoms plus nausea...a few weeks ago, but that time it only last a number of hours. She is drinking water okay, and is not in any pain that I can detect. Resting comfortably at my feet at present.

It is Sunday now, and I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow (Monday), but I do happen to have some Bonine/meclizine in the house that I see is often recommended for this kind of disorder (or for car sicknness). It expired in 2015, but I doubt that would make much difference to its potency. Any thoughts/experiences re the administation of this otc medication? I saw a recommendation online of 25mg/day...does that sound about right for a 50 lb dog?

Thanks!

Otherchuck
Otherchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
  #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wouldn't give any meds to an undiagnosed dog, look up the possible side effects of each medication. If she ends up diagnosed with one of the side effect, then it could exacerbate the situation.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:18 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I second not giving her meds, until you check with your Vet. I do know that meclizine at least in humans will cause extreme drowsiness, and I don't know if its even safe for dogs.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-18-2016, 12:20 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does indeed sound like a typical case of vestibular syndrome (called such because it has no known cause). As for Meclizine usage, I have never had it help but it also is very unlikely to cause any harm. The correct dosage is vague, though, and often is listed as 1/2 to 2 tablets 2x a day (but leaves the weight of the patient out, which makes it a pretty broad dosage). One source lists a more accurate dosage, but also admits there is no research backing it up.

For vomiting due to vestibular disease, a drug like Cerenia is far more effective than is Meclizine anyway (but it is not over the counter- needs a script). Nothing I know of seems to help the dizziness, but in 95% of all cases, it resolves on its own (the other 5% may be caused by something like a brain tumor, infection etc.- SOMETHING that is never discovered in the majority of cases... which could explain why those few dogs do not improve). Time for resolution varies a lot from dog to dog, some improved in just a half hour while others take weeks to be able to stand up again.
lzrddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.