My dogs ate grapes the past week - should I take them to the vet?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

My dogs ate grapes the past week - should I take them to the vet?

This is a discussion on My dogs ate grapes the past week - should I take them to the vet? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; This past week I have been including green grapes in my dogs' diet as I thought that the were healthy for them (I have been ...

User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My dogs ate grapes the past week - should I take them to the vet?

This past week I have been including green grapes in my dogs' diet as I thought that the were healthy for them (I have been following Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet for dogs, and she fed her dogs' raisins and grapes); Mon-Friday, I gave my dogs 5-10 grapes along with their meals (one dog is 43 lbs, and one is 61 lbs). They have shown no symptoms (no vomiting, diarrhea, etc), but tonight I stumbled upon research articles explaining that grapes can cause acute renal failure in dogs and fatality in dogs, and I am currently freaking out. They both have been drinking water and urinating normally, but I am still so worried. Should I take them to the vet? Have any of you had experiences with your dogs ingesting grapes? I am not giving them grapes again, and I am horrified at the fact that I ignorantly gave my dogs something so toxic.
lovelypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
SusanLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Lovelypups,

It's late, and no one here is a vet. Please call an emergency animal hospital and explain that you've fed your dogs grapes. You need a vet's advice. And, please come back with an update. Praying that all will be o.k.
lovelypups likes this.
SusanLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 AM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Urban Europe
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypups View Post
This past week I have been including green grapes in my dogs' diet as I thought that the were healthy for them (I have been following Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet for dogs, and she fed her dogs' raisins and grapes); Mon-Friday, I gave my dogs 5-10 grapes along with their meals (one dog is 43 lbs, and one is 61 lbs). They have shown no symptoms (no vomiting, diarrhea, etc), but tonight I stumbled upon research articles explaining that grapes can cause acute renal failure in dogs and fatality in dogs, and I am currently freaking out. They both have been drinking water and urinating normally, but I am still so worried. Should I take them to the vet? Have any of you had experiences with your dogs ingesting grapes? I am not giving them grapes again, and I am horrified at the fact that I ignorantly gave my dogs something so toxic.
My dog got a grape once when it rolled off the counter.... I think the dog thought it had found a candy that fell all the way from heaven.

It's really too bad dogs can't process grapes because you could train a dog to do ANYTHING with just a hand full of grapes

Back to you: Here is a website you can read right now to get more information: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...gs-eat-grapes/

When they say "kidney failure", which is the biggie on the list, what they mean is that you need to look for these signs and symptoms: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...ailure_chronic

At the very least I would call the vet and ask them what to do. If the dogs are not looking sick then they are probably not in any immediate danger. The vet will tell you what to do and they can tell you how long it will be before the dogs own system will have processed the toxins.

Good luck.
lovelypups likes this.
dogslife is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I was visiting my dog at the Emergency Vet Hospital, the front desk got a call about a dog being brought in that had eaten grapes. She hung up the phone and told other staff members about it. There was a sense of emergency about the situation. I knew that my dog shouldn't have grapes, but after I saw the real concern and urgency over the situation at the vet office it reinforced how dangerous grapes can be for dogs. Your dogs may appear okay right now, but there could still be damage ticking away that's not visible. Maybe something can be done to counter that. I would definitely contact a vet hospital and see what you should do.
dogslife and lovelypups like this.

Last edited by DogFaming; 07-15-2019 at 08:50 AM.
DogFaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
-Update-

This morning I called the vet, and they told me to bring the dogs by so that they could run some tests; they emphasized that grape toxicity entirely depends on the individual dog. I brought them in and they ran some blood tests - my dogs’ tests results have nothing out of the ordinary! The vet told me that neither dog exhibits evidence of kidney dysfunction and that there is no evidence that either dog has been affected by grapes. I am beyond relieved! Thanks to everyone who replied! The thoughts and information that you all provided is appreciated.
Littlefox and dogslife like this.
lovelypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Urban Europe
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm so happy to hear this! Thank you for the update.
lovelypups likes this.
dogslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 PM
  #7
Senior Member
 
SusanLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What a relief! I was really worried about your pups too.

Can you contact the webmaster of the site where you found that diet? It's really problematic that other unsuspecting dog owners may be considering such a dangerous diet.
Littlefox, dogslife and lovelypups like this.
SusanLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:48 PM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
From what you said, I assume the vet said that you only needed to take the one blood test? This past winter when I had medication ingested by one of the dogs in the house, I had to take all of the dogs in every day for...I think 4 days to get tested. They said that things can go downhill days after getting normal results on a blood test. Although maybe because all of that time has already lapsed with your dogs then you only needed one test?
lovelypups likes this.
DogFaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 PM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFaming View Post
From what you said, I assume the vet said that you only needed to take the one blood test? This past winter when I had medication ingested by one of the dogs in the house, I had to take all of the dogs in every day for...I think 4 days to get tested. They said that things can go downhill days after getting normal results on a blood test. Although maybe because all of that time has already lapsed with your dogs then you only needed one test?
Yes. I asked them to run whatever tests were necessary to determine if my dogs were affected by the grapes, and my vet told me that the toxin from grapes affects the kidneys therefore the blood tests that they ran were associated with kidney function. My vet told me a story of a dog that ate a whole bag of grapes and showed no side-effects, but then he has also seen dogs that had to be hospitalized for days due to consuming a couple of grapes. I also was told that no one really knows what exactly it is that makes some dogs react to grapes and others have no problem with it, so the best thing to do is avoid them altogether.
lovelypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 PM
  #10
Senior Member
 
SusanLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will you be returning to the vet for a follow-up check? DogFaming makes a good point about running the tests again. What did your vet say about that?
SusanLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
grapes, renal failure, toxic

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.