My Dog was Having Seizures

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

My Dog was Having Seizures

This is a discussion on My Dog was Having Seizures within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello. My now five-month-old Wheaten Terrier had a seizure about a month ago after eating a homemade dog treat from a co-worker. He had two ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question My Dog was Having Seizures

Hello. My now five-month-old Wheaten Terrier had a seizure about a month ago after eating a homemade dog treat from a co-worker. He had two additional seizures within the next 24 hours. Each seizure was less than a minute and he would foam at the mouth and lose control of his bladder. I took him to the vet after the third seizure. They drew blood (all values were normal), gave him a bolus of fluid, tested for Valley Fever, and then started him on an antibiotic and phenobarbital. He had one more seizure after we got back from the vet, but no other seizures since he was started on the phenobarbital. Yesterday, he was almost out of the phenobarbital, so I brought him back to the vet. They drew labs and checked his phenobarbital levels and everything was normal. I asked how long he would need to take the phenobarbital and was told "for life because he has epilepsy." I think I need a second opinion! How did the vet even come to this conclusion? Anyone else have any experiences with seizures or advice on this? Thank you!
kennethoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM
  #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would get a second opinion to be honest.

Is it coincidence that the dog had a seizure after eating a treat? Or is the dog epileptic...

Can you find out what ingredients were in the home made treat?
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:20 PM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger View Post
I would get a second opinion to be honest.

Is it coincidence that the dog had a seizure after eating a treat? Or is the dog epileptic...

Can you find out what ingredients were in the home made treat?


Thank you! That is exactly what my partner and I were wondering and the vet didn't even consider that it was the treat. Just jumped to the conclusion that he was epileptic. We talked to the vet again today to express our concerns and his response was "If you don't want him on the phenobarbital then stop giving it to him." WHAT?!?!? Needless to say, we will be getting a second opinion and not returning to that vet!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kennethoja is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Kyllobernese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Shih Tzu x Maltese started having seizures when he was four years old. He did not have them very often so the Vet did not want to put him on anything unless they got closer together. He is now 8 years old and has not had a seizure for the last two years. Never did figure out what caused them even though he was tested for all sorts of things. I would not jump to your dog being epileptic from a couple of seizures but would have him checked out again by a different Vet. I don't think it is a good idea to just stop the medication as I think you have to taper it off gradually but I could be wrong.
jaragr likes this.
Kyllobernese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
My Shih Tzu x Maltese started having seizures when he was four years old. He did not have them very often so the Vet did not want to put him on anything unless they got closer together. He is now 8 years old and has not had a seizure for the last two years. Never did figure out what caused them even though he was tested for all sorts of things. I would not jump to your dog being epileptic from a couple of seizures but would have him checked out again by a different Vet. I don't think it is a good idea to just stop the medication as I think you have to taper it off gradually but I could be wrong.


Thank you! No, you should never just stop giving a medication. That's why I was so shocked that the vet just said to stop giving it! After we argued with him about just stopping the medication, he told us how to taper it off, so we are going to do that and look for another vet in the meantime!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kennethoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Find another vet, that one sounds clueless.
While it is possible that your dog has epilepsy, it also may have been a transient illness possibly from something in the treat, I agree the medication needs to be tapered off, and then the dog should be observed closely for a while. He may never have another seizure, or it may be that he will, but you will have a better idea after tapering off the medication.
Lucillle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:27 PM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
Find another vet, that one sounds clueless.

While it is possible that your dog has epilepsy, it also may have been a transient illness possibly from something in the treat, I agree the medication needs to be tapered off, and then the dog should be observed closely for a while. He may never have another seizure, or it may be that he will, but you will have a better idea after tapering off the medication.


Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kennethoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 PM
  #8
Senior Member
 
jaragr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm surprised your vet put your dog on meds already. That is so confusing as vets around my area won't medicate unless the dog is having more than 1 seizure a month. I see where your dog had 3 in 24 hours - has he had any since then? He might not have epilepsy at all.
jaragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:07 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
jaragr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's why I was so shocked that the vet just said to stop giving it!


That vet sounds like a total jerk!
jaragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM
  #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaragr View Post
I'm surprised your vet put your dog on meds already. That is so confusing as vets around my area won't medicate unless the dog is having more than 1 seizure a month. I see where your dog had 3 in 24 hours - has he had any since then? He might not have epilepsy at all.


None since he was started on the medication. We're weaning him off of it and also going to start taking him to another vet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kennethoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
epilepsy, seizures

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do seizures change? jaragr Dog Health 24 09-26-2016 03:00 PM
Struggling to keep my mental sanity caused by my dog's seizures Emrys25 Dog Health 6 06-17-2016 02:37 PM
Is my dog having seizures? AlyKat Dog Health 4 04-14-2016 08:36 AM
Seizures jaragr Dog Health 11 02-15-2016 10:50 AM
Allergies and seizures Ricks2524 Dog Health 2 12-20-2015 11:43 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.