To make a long story short, my sweet girl Zena somehow got a hold of someones sock and swallowed it. I did not witness this but according to the vet, that's what they found in her intestines.
This started last night. She was repeatedly vomiting bile, would not lay down even though she was tired, acted really lethargic and kept looking at her stomach. I was worried and told my dad about it and he said "nah she just has a stomach ache, she'll be fine." If I had listened to his advice she might already be dead so I'm glad I went with my gut.
Once we got to the animal hospital, the vet immediately knew something was wrong. She appeared bloated, had signs of dehydration, a high pulse rate and the vet could feel the object in her intestines. She immediately rushed her through the doors to the surgery room and I fear that was the last I'm gonna see of Zena. I didn't even properly say goodbye. It all felt so rushed.
Hours later, we got a call from the vet who said they were able to successfully remove the sock during surgery. BUT there was bad news. Some of her intestines had necrosis (i.e - turning black, dead tissue.) This is not a good sign.
From what I understand from our phone call, they did not want to perform a resection on the black part because the tissue around the black wasn't healed properly. Basically, if they cut it out today they would have had to take out 3 feet of intestine (low survival). If they wait until it heals, they will only have to take a few inches out. This is all confusing for me. Why would they put the dead tissue back inside of her, isn't that really dangerous? Or does it make sense what she said? I don't understand how they'll know it's healing and blood flow is returning to normal without opening her up again.
Any opinion about this would mean so much to me. Just two days ago she was full of energy and normal and now everything has flipped. If any of you have experience with intestinal obstruction with your dog and the surgeries afterwards, I would be sooo appreciative of any advice.