Hi, I'm new and need some serious advice.
We have a 14 yr old Aus/German Shepard. He's in poor health even though we've done our best to make him happy.
He has stage 4 gum disease and the Vet is worried about putting him under due to his age. The cost is approx $2000 with no guarantee of success, not only that, we just can't afford it now. We have already spent $20k on him years ago when he snapped ligaments in both his back legs...
His legs are very week and he has trouble walking for any length of time although he can still use his legs. He can climb down stairs and up (most of the time) but rather not. He does have bad arthritis.
His hearing has gotten bad, he can hear if I yell or clap my hands.
He has some infection on his anus, we had the vet clear it out and we now have topical antibiotics.
I feel so sorry for him and the highlight of his days are waiting for me to awake and greet him. Other than that he's pretty much lying down all day.
We are moving across country (in 4 weeks) and taking him in the car for a 3 day drive will no doubt stress him out, especially since he'll have to remain 8 hours in a crate he's not use to while we cross on a ferry. I will not fly him, he panics when he cant see me.
He's no longer that happy puppy running in the field or taking long walks, he's slowly deteriorating and it makes me feel horrible that his last days are left with me to decide.
When is it time, what would you do?