Hi everyone. First post.
My puppy started having her private part swell on 9/1/18, then starting 9/7 she had five days of slight bleeding. The her nipples get bigger and pinker and she developed breast tissue at least under the lower four nipples.
I've read over 20 websites on "heat" and pregnancy, so I only took her on walks until her "vulva" was almost normal. Even at dog parks there was only a rare attempt for a dog (male or female) to climb on her. Owners are careful to stop their dogs from mating behavior.
No male dog even had an erection, and I checked her private parts for fluid after each visit. Nothing.
She hasn't vomited, hasn't shown nesting behavior, her breast tissue has returned to her prior state, her gums are pink, she's not peeing more often.... etc. BUT she seems to take more naps. She's thin, so I can press everywhere and there's no bumps or masses. When my thin wife was in early pregnancy I could feel her womb and my puppy is even thinner.
It's only the possible increased napping that's bothersome, but then again I take her everywhere during most of the day. She is energetic in her play with dogs and humans.
Made a vet appointment for a few weeks from now because if it's too soon, the vet would tell me to wait longer for that "relaxin" test or ultrasound.
1. Is there a reliable home dog pregnancy test?
2. If her bleeding started 9/7 (six weeks ago) would the test be positive now?
3. A few websites stated that pink-red nipples can be a first sign, so have attached a picture of her belly. I have never paid attention to her nipple color before she started heat, so I have no way to compare. What do you think about her picture?
4. She is not fixed or spayed because my parents want one of her puppies, so was going to try during her second heat cycle. I want the male Dad to be a cockapoo. Is there such a thing as an abortion which still allows her to get pregnant with the next heat? Or if she's pregnant now, does the vet have to spray her and she could then never have puppies again?
5. Websites list 60-70 days incubation before the puppies are ejected/born. Is that count from the day of first bleeding?